Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday I took the above gun (Colt Trooper Mk III in 22lr) and my S&W Model 617, also, of course, a 22lr (10 shot) out to shoot. I figured I'd also compare them because I'd never shot them together before. Both have 6 inch barrels.

The Colt is a bit heavier than the Smith. The action feels extremely slick as it clicks into place round after round with a reassuring lockup each time. At about 50 feet I consistently popped cans up into the air single and double action.

The Smith is lighter than the Colt, probably 8 - 10 ounces, with a full lug barrel, same as the Colt. The action is different, not worse, just different from the Colt. Kind of just clicks quickly into place unlike the Colt which ends up clicking into place after a cycling through the action, almost like you're winding an nice old pocket watch. The Smith was just as accurate as the Colt; each of them are more accurate than I can shoot. [However, don't get me wrong; you certainly don't want me shooting at you with either of them.]

Went through about three hundred rounds all together alternating between revolvers.

Both are plenty nice and fun to shoot. I prefer the Colt; with its extra weight it just sets up in my wrist right and when I lock my elbow everything feels real nice.

The Smith is a bit light for my taste. I think the S&W catalog lists this gun with its 6 inch barrel at 35 ounces or so. If you wanted to carry it all day, it'd probably be the better choice, like if you were wandering around a dog town with a 22.

Fun times....

·
Registered
535 Posts
I once had a HUGE lesson in humility from a fella' shooting a Trooper Mark III. I agree - they shoot very well, indeed. (But then, I think the guy shooting the Trooper that day could've beat me if I had the gun and he had the box it came in! Ho, ho, ho!) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R. Walter:

This past Sunday I took the above gun (Colt Trooper Mk III in 22lr) and my S&W Model 617, also, of course, a 22lr (10 shot) out to shoot. I figured I'd also compare them because I'd never shot them together before. Both have 6 inch barrels.

The Colt is a bit heavier than the Smith. The action feels extremely slick as it clicks into place round after round with a reassuring lockup each time. At about 50 feet I consistently popped cans up into the air single and double action.

The Smith is lighter than the Colt, probably 8 - 10 ounces, with a full lug barrel, same as the Colt. The action is different, not worse, just different from the Colt. Kind of just clicks quickly into place unlike the Colt which ends up clicking into place after a cycling through the action, almost like you're winding an nice old pocket watch. The Smith was just as accurate as the Colt; each of them are more accurate than I can shoot. [However, don't get me wrong; you certainly don't want me shooting at you with either of them.]

Went through about three hundred rounds all together alternating between revolvers.

Both are plenty nice and fun to shoot. I prefer the Colt; with its extra weight it just sets up in my wrist right and when I lock my elbow everything feels real nice.

The Smith is a bit light for my taste. I think the S&W catalog lists this gun with its 6 inch barrel at 35 ounces or so. If you wanted to carry it all day, it'd probably be the better choice, like if you were wandering around a dog town with a 22.

Fun times....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts