Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know ship date for this revolver. S/N is Y87xx. Just purchased this gun today and it looks to be 99+%. According to the owner, 20 rounds have been fired. The Colt Blue is very nice.

Thanks for the date and any other comments. Can anyone compare this revolver to S&W's Model 17/617 as far as shooting accuracy, reliability and plain feel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its a great revolver. I've owned mine for over 20 years and have fired over 4,000 rounds without any problems. For double action shooting, it can be sensitive to ammo brands. Only change is addition of Pachmayer(sp?)grips. With its weight, it worked well the few times I used it for Bullseye shooting. However, it is a little heavy to carry all day in the field. What barrel length? I have a 6", also in blue.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
I've owned a number of .22 Trooper III's over the years, and I think it may be the best DA shooter of them all.

The Trooper III is a 357 sized gun, so DA shooting is easy because of the massive frame and cylinder. Give the trigger a slight pull, and the heavy cylinder rotates all the way over to lock on the next chamber. This leaves the remainder of the trigger pull a nice smooth roll.

As far as accuracy goes, in my experience the .22 III is usually a better shooter than the S&W models. This is due to Colt's high-quality barrels, and again, the massive, stiff frame and cylinder assembly.

Again, the only "look-out" on the Colt "J" frame revolvers, is not to dry fire them extensively. SOME, of the firing pins are too hard and MAY break. Use empty cases.

If a pin does break the gun MUST be sent in to the Colt factory for replacement. The pin CANNOT be properly replaced without special support dies. Attempting to do a field replacement, (even by a gunsmith) without the special tooling, can ruin the frame, and will mar it's finish.

No less an authority than Jerry Kuhnhausen, thinks the Trooper III/King Cobra guns may well be the strongest DA mid-size revolvers of them all, due to Colt's high-quality forged and heat treated frames and cylinders.

Unknown to most people, unlike most other gun companies, when the Trooper III's were made, Colt decided to cut production costs and complications by using the same basic heat treated frame for all the III's INCLUDING the .22's. This means the .22 Trooper III's have a frame heat treated to .357 specs.

They don't get any tougher than this.

Availability of after market grips isn't good, but some of the best and most attractive are from Hogue. As far as rubber grips, I think only Pachmayr makes one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To: Marlin 57M
My Trooper III in 22LR has a six (6) inch barrel on it.

To: dfariswheel
When you say "it may be the best DA shooter of them all," are you referring to all Trooper III's no matter the caliber or are you referring to all double action revolvers no matter the make, period?

Generally, I am very impressed with the Colt Blue finish on this revolver as well as the workmanship that is evident in the fit and finish of this weapon.

Thanks for the replies.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
I'm referring to all mid-frame DA revolvers. Of these, the Colt Trooper III has the largest frame, and especially cylinder.

Of course, this is purely subjective, many people thing the S&W revolvers are better.

What makes the III so good for DA, is the sheer inertia of that huge cylinder, with the tiny holes. This phenomenon was first seen in the S&W "N" frame guns shooting 38/357 ammo. When the trigger is pulled, the cylinder tends to rotate completely to the next chamber and lock up. You then have a smooth, light trigger pull for the rest of the stroke.
Some shooters attempt this with other guns by giving the trigger a slight "jerk" to get the cylinder going, then freezing the trigger momentarily until the cylinder locks, before continuing the pull.

The only problem with this, is unless you practice A LOT, you will "blow" shots away by going too far on the trigger pull.

In the early days of PPC shooting the Python was King, and many police shooters put rubber "bumper" trigger stops on the gun. This allowed them to do the "Jerk-Stop-Squeeze" trigger pull.

As for the finish on your III. It's amazing to look at a III today, and think that it was Colt's "Budget" gun back then. The blue finish is so much better than almost anything being offered today.

Some time ago, I posted more info on the "J" frame Colt guns. Heres a link to it: http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/000128.html

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 05-21-2003).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dfariswheel,

I had read the material you had prepared as evidenced by the link you just listed several times already in the last couple of weeks as I was researching Trooper III's. It's been very informative as to the continuity and heritage involving recent and modern Colt revolvers.

Clear this up for me. Do you mean Trooper III's as having the best "action" in the mid-frame size of all revolvers or the "best overall revolver of them all?"

The action in my new Trooper III 22LR is very, very nice.

However, my Officer Model Match in 38 Spl with the 6 inch heavy barrel has an action like clockwork. It's the first year of the Match, made in 1953 (my favorite year). And, this gun really shoots!

·
Registered
574 Posts
D: Thanks for posting the old link to the Trooper post of yours. That was very informative and I have saved it for my Colt research materials. I now feel myself being sucked into the idea that I "need" a Trooper Mark III in .22. Let the hunt begin! Charlie

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
R. Walter:
Again, this is all subjective.

I think the Colt Trooper III has the best >>DA<< trigger action of all the >>Mid-frame<< revolvers, for the reasons listed above. Other mid-frame revolvers are usually based on the S&W "K" frame with it's smaller diameter cylinder.
If S&W would offer a "L" frame 686 in .22LR I would likely change my mind.

ordnanceguy:
Now that I've infected you, I can take a break.
If you've never owned a Trooper III in .22LR you're missing a treat.
I foolishly traded or sold all mine years ago, but smartly bought a like new 4" blue a few years ago.

I also have a second year old model Colt Trooper .22 I've tuned to a near Python action, but I actually seem to prefer the III.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a bunch of S&W's, but there is just something about the Colts.... their fit, finish, engineering, smooth clockwork-like action, that little pony on the side. Kind of gives me goose bumps.

Can't wait till I get to shoot it which won't be until next week at the earliest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts