Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a very nice, early Trooper Mk III. It has Colt-medalion Pachmyer Presentation grips on it. I would like to get a nice set of wood grips for it--probably either Hogue or Eagle. A "grip guy" at my local gunshow has a nice pair of Rosewood fingergroove grips that are marked "Trooper Mk V". Do these fit the Mk III as well? They look good and are priced right ($30), but I can't use them if they don't fit.

Also, is there a mail-order dealer (web) that sells a full line of Hogue grips at a discount?

Thanks much.

Rob

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
No, the Mark 5 grips will not fit the Mark 3 Trooper. The Mark V used a shorter, round butt frame which was completely covered by the grips.

If you have a buddy with an FFL, you can order most Hogue grips from Brownell's at a discount.
The problem is, most discounters only carry Hogue grips for certain, popular model guns.
Also, they usually carry limited wood choices.
The Trooper is now an older gun, and they often won't have that model.

OPTIONS: Order direct from Hogue, and get the type wood you want. Or, if you want original factory wood grips, order a set from Gun Parts Corp, or start looking on EBay. Trooper MK III grips often show up there.

Be aware, though, that Colt had two different grades of Trooper 3 wood. Usually the cheaper "J" frame guns had hardwood grips, with silver medallions on them.
The more expensive Trooper 3 had walnut grips with gold medallions. It's often hard to tell just by looking.

In any event, the Hogue grips will fit better, and feel much better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I hadn't thought of Brownell's. I have their catalog and get a discount via my C&R license. I'll check them out.

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Teddydog--I would like to know how much the MKIII cost you if you don't mind telling.

What cal. is it?

[This message has been edited by NAVIGATOR (edited 06-23-2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts