Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Colt Trooper MK III 22 caliber in a local gun shop. Serial # is Y133XX. Looks to be in excellent shape but does not have original or correct grips (has Pachmyer Rubber grips). Asking price is $399.00. Two questions. Is the price in the range of what this revolver would sell for and what year is it (I looked at Proofhouse.com and don't see that serial number listed). Last question, would the same grips that fit a Python fit this frame as well ( I have an extra set of factory Python grips). Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bubba,
I recently bought a Trooper Mk III 22. It was priced at $399 here in central Pa. While I can't date later Colts the serial number on mine is Y123XX or quite close to yours. Mine was dated by a friend as 1979 production. Python grips will not fit the Trooper Mk III. Here is a pic of mine showing the orginal grps.
Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here in Pensacola, the price would be cheap by 50-100$...If i wern't otherwise invilved in 3 other transactions at the moment, I would be eilling to pay the higher dollar. yashua

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Mant current sellers of grips/stocks are either or both not familiar with what they are selling or smart like a fox. Everybody does seem to think/know that Colt stocks are in demand. Buyers are equally out of control. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
python and EARLY trooper stocks will interchange. if you look closely at the inletting the mk series guns have a straight across inlet at the top, unlike the circle type of the python.i`ll post a photo later if possible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I ended up buying the Trooper MK III 22cal. I kept looking at it and looking at it and it has almost no flaws aside from a scratch on the left side just below the cylinder and a turn line. The blueing appears almost perfect. It has Pachmyer grips so I'm replacing them with the correct Trooper grips. Found a set on eBay for $29.00 without the screw so I "won" them. I'm gonna shoot this gun but I still like the looks and feel of wood grips. When I questioned the gun shop owner about it he told me that it was actually owned by a local doctor and was on consignment. I asked if he would except an offer of $350.00 and he did. So with the $50.00 I saved I can pay for the new grips and the tax! Does anyone know if the screw for these correct grips will be hard to find?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dfariswheel...thanks for the info on the screw. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of information available on this forum! I purchased my first Colt less then a year ago and now I find myself with three! I'm hooked on them and through this forum have learned more then I would have thought possible. People here are knowlegable and more then willing to share with us novices! Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts