Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I can't figure out the proofhouse serial number for the Trooper MKlll 58587L? Point me in the right direction. Thanks for the help guys , I wanted to edit the post and show some photos. I had a desire to visit a local pawn shop , that I frequent. Mainly because he takes in some classics on occasion. I found this one laying in the display case. 4" Colt Trooper MKlll nickel finish. I quickly asked to see it and went thru some function test of which it passed with flying colors. Made sure there was no flaking or missing nickel. I did find one side was pretty cloudy, possibly from being stored with that side down?? Anyway , I brought it home and went to work polishing the nickel cloudiness out with Mother Mag and Wheel polish. She turned out to be a good looking old Colt. I have some MKlll wood stocks coming but for now she's wearing rubber. Thanks for looking and feel free to post your examples if you like. Love to see Colt revolver photos and especially Troopers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, should it have wood or rubber grips for that time period? It's a nickel finish , 4" barrel. Giving it a little TLC before I post a photo. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought so. Rescued it from a pawn shop . It has rubber grips with Colt medalions, that's why I asked. I used to own a 6" Nickel MKlll Trooper from '77 as I recall.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photos of the Trooper added to the first post !

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
It probably left the factory with walnut target stocks and the rubbers were added later (that's what I did with my nickel Mark III)...but never say never with Colt. Some have said that e-nickel Mark III revolvers were only factory equipped with Colt/Pachmayr grips only...but my e-nickel Trooper Mark III came NIB with walnut target stocks.

Essentially...all it took was for the assembler to pick up a set of rubber stocks in place of wood or possibly a shortage of wood stocks and rubber was substituted.

Reactions: got2hav1

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have never seen a bright nickel or blued MKIII with Colt/Pachmayr stocks from the factory. I've only seen them on the MKIII with Coltguard finish. I don't recall seeing any Coltguard MKIII's from the factory with wood although it's likely. Like Snidely says, never say never with Colt. I have a NIB Lawman MK III Coltguard that came with rubber stocks but I changed them to wood. It's a NIB revolver with wood stocks but didn't leave the factory that way :p.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that beauty gonna be a shooter or a safe queen?
Planning to shoot it. It has been shot already, so no brainer. Will probably go back to the rubber stocks to shoot it though. The wood looks great but a little big for my hands I think.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Nice find!
Yelp, hard to beat a set of Pachmayrs for shootin'. Although, I've really become fond of the Hogue one piece rubber grips.
Vic

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Planning to shoot it. It has been shot already, so no brainer. Will probably go back to the rubber stocks to shoot it though. The wood looks great but a little big for my hands I think.
The round butt MK III wood stocks are a little smaller, and definitely have a better feel than the earlier square butt target stocks.

101.JPG 102.JPG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts