Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

Yesterday at the range, I noticed that the ejector rod on my Trooper "unthreaded" itself when I was shooting. I was shooting store loaded .357's in single action. When I ejected my first spent rounds, I noticed that the ejector rod was loose, so I tightned it. I checked it again after 12 more rounds and it was loose again. I tightened it again and noticed that there seemed to be a little cylinder "bind" so I removed the rod and ejector ratched and cleaned them both thouroughly. That appeared to cure the slight binding I felt, but the rod again became loose when shooting. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I tried to duplicate the problem dry firing the gun with snap caps, but the rod did not loosen. It seems to only happen when firing live rounds.

Thoughts? Is it time to send the gun to a smith? It does not seem to have any timing or lockup problems.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne MacGregor

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
waynem; try Loctite on the threads. Not just the Trooper that has this problem. Be sure and put fired case in the chambers when you are screwing or unscrewing,to prevent damage or bending.

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I might suggest BLUE Loctite so the rod can still be removed if necessary. And a little dab'll do ya. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue Locktite it is.....I was considering thread locking compound, but was unsure whether or not to use it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still having a \"problem.............\"

I took the ejector rod and ratchet star out of the gun, cleaned both thoroughly so's the locktite would work and noticed that when the rod is re-threaded back into the ratchet, both the ejector and cylinder still "bind" when the rod if fully threaded (not particularly tight - just seated). It only seems to operate smoothly when the rod is backed out about 1/8 of a turn. The rod itself appears not to be bent (this was my first thought). I was particularly careful to tighten the rod when there were empty cases in the cylinder. What gives???? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Re: Still having a \"problem.............\"

I'm assuming all the parts are still in place, including the ejector rod bushing?

Here's a link to an exploded view of the Mark III:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zTROOPER%20MKIII
Click on the picture to expand it.

Notice part #12. If it's missing it could cause problems.

If it's still in place and turned the right way, you possibly have a bent ejector rod or a damaged ejector.

Without being able to actually see it, no one can give you a definite diagnoses.

If it needs a pro to look at it, send it to Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters in Pittsburgh, or to the Colt factory.

Be wary of allowing local gunsmiths to work on it, and DO NOT start buying parts unless and until you are 100% CERTAIN of exactly what is wrong.

Ejectors are FACTORY replaceable ONLY.
You CANNOT do it at home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Still having a \"problem.............\"

Thanks for the reply. I'm going send it to Colt. I'm pretty sure that all the parts are there. I think that the problem has to do with the bushing - exactly what, I don't know. I'm not going to disassemble it myself.

I've read all of the posts cautioning against sending it to "any" local gunsmith.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts