1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
It was unfired, I put 6 through it with the magnum cylinder. The barrel is marked 22 LR so I wanted to see if it would shave the lead on the 22 mag ammo...
I am not an expert, this is my opinion only and I apologize of it offends you. That sounds like a rookie mistake. Colt put LR on that barrel for a reason. The ammunition that gun was designed to shoot is marked in plain sight, you even posted a picture.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you would be correct, and still may be if the barrel didn't measure .224 ;)
I am not an expert, this is my opinion only and I apologize of it offends you. That sounds like a rookie mistake. Colt put LR on that barrel for a reason. The ammunition that gun was designed to shoot is marked in plain sight, you even posted a picture.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I have seen a couple of these in person (NIB). They do exist but are relatively "rare".

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be darned. Thanks guys, the 22lr marking on the barrel threw me and made me believe it was something done later. I guess I should have checked here first. Will be a fun shooter, thanks for the info. Guess I better order a letter from Colt :D

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,891 Posts
You sometimes rarely saw Convertible Colt .22 revolvers, usually made on customer special order from Colt.
The one I knew for sure was a factory job was a Colt Officer's Model Match.
In the old days they came with the complete cylinder assembly including the crane, which was numbered to the frame.
This was because of the difficulty in disassembling the old style cylinder assembly.

Since the new style cylinder assembly as used on the Mark III was much simpler and easier to disassemble, it looks like Colt just dropped a fitted cylinder and ejector in the box.

These were mostly made up for distributors as a special order, and probably a few on custom order by individuals.
I've never seen one in original as-shipped set up, so I always wondered if there were any instructions in the box on HOW to switch cylinders.
Also, is the frame serial number stamped on the cylinder anywhere?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You sometimes rarely saw Convertible Colt .22 revolvers, usually made on customer special order from Colt.
The one I knew for sure was a factory job was a Colt Officer's Model Match.
In the old days they came with the complete cylinder assembly including the crane, which was numbered to the frame.
This was because of the difficulty in disassembling the old style cylinder assembly.

Since the new style cylinder assembly as used on the Mark III was much simpler and easier to disassemble, it looks like Colt just dropped a fitted cylinder and ejector in the box.

These were mostly made up for distributors as a special order, and probably a few on custom order by individuals.
I've never seen one in original as-shipped set up, so I always wondered if there were any instructions in the box on HOW to switch cylinders.
Also, is the frame serial number stamped on the cylinder anywhere?
D,
I am 99.9% positive that this is as shipped from the factory. They guy I got it from had two of them, one in a presentation box. I have looked at a couple other examples courtesy of this forum and either everyone faked them the same or they all came with the same type of stickers.

There are no instructions in this box about switching cylinders although that does not mean there wasn't originally. The paperwork was still taped to the package with the factory red tape though so I would imagine with everything else there it would be there are well.

There re not any serial numbers on either cylinder. The only difference besides chamber obviously is the magnum has a M stamped in it.

I am going to request a letter for this and see where that leads me. Would you like me to clean all the factory grease off of it and take some pics in natural light? I am going to use it for a shooter so this will have to be done eventually anyway

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,891 Posts
Not necessary.

If there were numbers, they would most likely be under the ejector.

I have no doubt these are factory limited or special issue guns and cylinders.
In the case of the Trooper Mark III, these are almost certainly a special order by a distributor, or a very limited issue by Colt offered to distributors.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Yes, they do exist:

Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Reactions: 22_Matt
1 - 18 of 18 Posts