Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My early 1970 357 Trooper MkIII cylinder is recessed like the pre -1982 S&W cylinders. All other MkIII's I see have a single rim around the rear of the cylinder. When did they make the change. I like the S&W look of my style and never seen another. It looks more "finished" than the later style.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That is correct. Early in production J-Frame revolvers (OMM mk III, OP mkIII, Tooper mkIII, and the Metro) have cylinders where each chamber is recessed for the case rim. Late in production the practice was stopped in place of the raised rim at the back of the cylinder which carried through to the mkV and King Cobra lines.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
I think Colt went from the early style recessed cylinders to the later "fenced style" cylinders in about 1972.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
It wasn't late in production that the recessed cylinders were stopped , it was early, like after the first couple of years production. I have an early Lawman that dates to around 70-71 that is recessed,all my later ones have the rim and they date from mid 70s to late production.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts