Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Trooper MKIII and I am looking for some factory walnut target grips. There seems to be a couple of different versions. One has the checkering all the way to the bottom, the others have a distinct panel that does not go to the bottom. I have not been able to find my revolver in the serial numbers bases online as well. 760**L I am guessing '79 or '80. What style grips would be correct for the year?

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
smithrjd, I first started seeing this style of target stocks on the Trooper MKIII's in 1980. If you want to find a set, Colt Forum member dback13 once had a large supply of these. He is someone I have purchased from and recommend him highly.

Very best of luck!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts

I've ordered stocks from Numrich with terrible results. Each set had an issue. Some had scratches, dings, flawed medallions and even a split on a panel. It's pot luck when it comes to stocks with them. They refunded me but it's just the hassle of having to return them each time. I like to see the stocks I'm getting which you can't do through Numrich. I'm sure they are all piled in a bin and is how they get dings and scratches on them. They just pull them from the bin when an order is placed and don't check them for flaws or damage. Al member 73shovel takes great pics of all angles of his stocks so you can see what you're getting.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I have ordered several sets from gunparts ,most were the same others are selling for double the price, only one set of service grips needed a little staining and tung oil to make them perfect. Most of the ones offered from individuals are take offs ,and may fit no better than the gun parts stocks

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I have ordered several sets from gunparts ,most were the same others are selling for double the price, only one set of service grips needed a little staining and tung oil to make them perfect. Most of the ones offered from individuals are take offs ,and may fit no better than the gun parts stocks
And I'm not saying all Numrich stocks are bad and damaged. I'm saying several sets I've ordered had issues. When I buy specific Colt wood stocks I like to see what I'm getting; Grain, medallions, checkering, color, and how well the panels match etc. I've gotten several from Al and don't mind paying $25 more. At least when I get them I know how they will look and what to expect and not pot luck. Plus Al usually has more than one set and will ask if you want a lighter or darker set and will email you pics of different sets so you can choose. That's worth $25 to me. I guess if you're not picky like me when it comes to stocks and don't care if you see how they look then Numrich would be ok. Al's MKIII stocks are NOS and not take-offs and include the screw.

And not that I have a dog in the fight or getting any kickback but just giving my opinion on my past dealings. Al usually ships his stocks free to members if you deal direct without auction. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went up on Gunbroker and there are options... Saw a pair of true target grips Jay Scott I believe. I have always wanted to try some of these to see what difference they would make. I am going to wait until I take the MKIII out to the range and see what I can do with it. I am not that good of a pistol shot, but can hold 2" at 25 yards with my 1911 and a S&W 52-2. Either are capable of much better than I am. I also ordered some Wolff springs, the DA pull was a bit heavy. I will have to say that the S&W 52-2 has the best trigger of any pistol I have ever shot. 2#'s if that and clean, I have not even bothered to adjust it.. I do like to be able to see what it is that I am buying and would gladly pay the extra to know what I am getting.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Be advised that frequently, Jay Scott's inletting process on their wood grips wasn't exactly done with precision.
Practically every pair of JS wood grips that I've ever handled, required some corrective measures such as epoxy bedding, to achieve a good firm fit to the guns' grip frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts