Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking at a new in the box Trooper MkIII 8" barrel,22lr,nickel finish.It would cost me about 685.00 out the door.Worth it?
Thanks,
Gary

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The Blue Book value for a 100% Trooper MkIII in nickel is $475. Having said that, the BB is just a guide, is usually a little behind the market because it is a published book and is typically low on many Colts. Having also said that, the Trooper has not been the most sought after Colt so far, but I see the market increasing as prices for some other models get really stretched. Take a look at the online selling at GunsAmerica.com. GunBroker.com and AuctionArms.com. You may not see an exact gun, but notice both what is asked and what actually sells at what price. I have been able to buy easily 95% nickel Lawman MkIII models (fixed sight version of Trooper) at no more than 95% book. I'm sure you'll get some additional opinions and in the end it's a personal call, of course. I do think you might find that 22LR in 8" might be a little more scarce and truly NIB adds value over 100% to most people. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rod,would a 4" 22. Diamondback same condition at 700.00 be a better buy?
Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I really am not into post 1968 Colt D.A.s,but this gun seems to be a very RARE configuration,and is NIB. Just my opinion,but it is going to increse in value due to its rarity,in next 10-20 years.

Take it you don't plan to shoot it,but it would also give your wrists and forearms exercise,NOT from the recoil,but just the weight!!! No wonder gun did not sell!!

Passed yesterday on a 1980's 8 inch blued Python,wood stocks,95% or so condition,for under $600; just too heavy,and I am not a lover of the .357 Magnum,unless there is a pre war Colt or Smith wrapped around this chambering.

I'd go for it.if later Colts are your interest,as this SEEMS to be a very rare configuration! Good Luck!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Rod,would a 4" 22. Diamondback same condition at 700.00 be a better buy?
Thanks,
Gary

[/ QUOTE ]
In my humble opinion, yes. Troopers will be a good investment, but as he said it will be another 10 years or so, Diamondbacks will appreciate at a much faster rate, especially the 22LR models as they made far fewer of them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all,bought the Trooper for 600.00,mainly because I've never seen one in this configuration.I sold a couple of guns,so I'm still thinking about the Diamondback.
Gary

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I bought a similar condition Nickel 8" 22 Mag Trooper Mark III. I felt I paid pretty much the upper end of market. I probably would have bought the one you did if I had the opportunity. Your 8" 22LR has to be fairly rare. Nobody knows how rare (yet). I would also pick up that 22 Diamondback. You will be sorry if you don't down the road when you see them for more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
GLS,
I think your trooper was a good buy as you don't see that configuration very much at all. In my opinion, as Python's go up, DB's usually follow and then the Troopers will start to escalate. Troopers have a great finish, smooth action and are very well made (I believe the Trooper III was designed to be produced in a more economical version versus the python). In the end, buy what you like. I've been looking for a more common 4'' blued Diamondback in 38spec and bought one last month, along with a 4'' blue Trooper III unfired (ca 1978) for half the price of the DB (about $300). I hope you enjoy yours and good luck in your DB hunt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts