Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I bought a Colt from an Auction site that was listed as a Trooper MK III. Upon arrival and inspection, I think it might not be the MK III model. Barrel is marked "Trooper 357" and below that "357 magnum CTG". Has a service type hammer, not the wide one. Frame is marked 536XX as is the crane. Also has a "D" marked inside the crane. Do I have a Tropper or a MK III? I'm guessing production in the mid 60's. Which frame size is it? Price was right, whichever it is. Many thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
You have an original Trooper, not a Trooper Mark III.
The Mark III has a transfer bar action and a shrouded barrel. These are plainly marked on the barrel as a "Trooper Mark III".

Your Trooper was made in 1966.
The serials began that year with #50000 and ended that year around #59799.

The "D" is an inspector's mark.

This is a Colt "I" frame, which is the same frame Colt used for the Official Police, Officer's Model Match, and Python.
In fact, the old model Trooper is often known as a "Poor man's Python, since the Python is really just a Trooper with a much better blue job, a tuned action, and the heavier ribbed and lugged barrel.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Sorry, you misunderstand.

The Trooper Mark III has a transfer bar system.

The old Trooper 357 IS NOT a transfer bar system.

Both guns have the firing pin in the frame.

In the Mark III transfer bar system a long, flat lever rises up between the hammer and the firing pin. This lever "transfers" the hammer blow to the firing pin.
If the trigger is released the transfer bar drops back down and the hammer CANNOT contact the firing pin.

In the old Colt system, there are guns that have the firing pin on the hammer, (like the Official Police), and guns that have the frame mounted firing pin like (the 357 Trooper and the Python).

In these guns, a smaller "L" shaped lever is actually a BLOCK. It prevents the hammer from moving forward to fire the gun UNLESS, it rises up OUT OF THE WAY.

Your old Model Trooper 357 is this type action.

Again, if your gun was a Mark III, it would say so on the barrel, and the barrel would have a shroud around the ejector rod.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-01-2004).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, now I understand. It is definitely a Trooper, not the MK III. Thanks for the help in identifying it. Sure handles nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. This does appear to have a transfer bar in it. At least, there is no firing pin in the hammer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts