Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked a nice Trooper .38 and pinned it down to 1958 manufacture per S/N 9198xx. All the digging I did says that the Troopers of that era shipped with wood checkered grips. Mine has wood smooth grips and while they are very nice I was wondering if some factory issue came with smooth grips or are possible replacements . They do have the original standard silver Colt logos on either side. Thanks

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
I have a Trooper the same way. Whomever sanded the stocks did a very nice job of it...the tip-offs are the Colt medallions are flush with the wood rather than being somewhat recessed and the lower edge of the stocks is a bit less sharp than the stocks would be otherwise.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
Some people didn't like the checkering and wanted smooth grips, or the checkering got battered while carried in a holster so the owner sanded them smooth just to look better.

These days no one in his right mind alters genuine Colt revolver grips due to the high values of original Colt grips.

Colt would equip a pistol with smooth grips on special order, but these were invariably made of fancy figured woods, either walnut or a hardwood like Rosewood.
Colt also sold as after market fancy wood grips.

But, Colt didn't equip pistols with smooth grips as standard, they were checkered.
A key "tell" of sanded grips is the medallion flush with the surface, and that they're made of ordinary walnut without the higher quality figure of special order grips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts