Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a '68 vintage Trooper .357, 6 inch barrel w/target stocks. The stocks are gold medalion type 3 (or so I'm told) I have been lurking here off and on and I have come to the understanding that only Pythons got the gold medalion stocks? I believe that the revolver in question came with targets as the backstrap has some blue wear but the front strap has no wear as it would if service stocks had been fitted. What say ye?
Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Does your gun also have the target hammer?

More likely to have come with target stocks if it has the target hammer, I believe.

I think dux is right about the stock / medallion type.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dux/weagle,
My Trooper does have the target hammer. It also has a grooved trigger. Was this standard on them all?
Thanks,
Ralph

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
All Colt old model Troopers had grooved triggers.
Target hammer and Target grips were options.
The standard Trooper had "Service" hammer and Service grips.

The later the Trooper is, the more likely it would be to have Target hammer and grips.
By the later 1960's you probably had to special order a Trooper to get it with Service hammer and grips due to the popularity of Target parts.

As a guess, I'd say it's fairly certain your 1968 version left the factory with Target grips.

By that time, there was a fair chance the grips would have Gold medallions and they might have been the Third type of Target grips.

Here's the Second Type Target grip which was being fazed out by the later 60's:

Since the Third type were being fazed IN, there's a chance your gun would have this type:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dfariswheel,
Thanks for that info. My Trooper has the type three stocks you pictured. It is a marvelous gun and the action is just smooth as glass. The single action trigger is so much lighter than my S&Ws that it took awhile to get used to it.
I don't see these around much.
Thanks to all,
Ralph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts