Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks guy for answering all of my previous newbie questions so nicely. I think that with the information you provided me. I've decied that the 45acp N.S. is not quite what I had in mind for next Colt purchase given my limited funds. Now I'm thinking 357 Magnum Colt.

Here's what I think I know at this point. The Trooper came before the Python. Early Troopers prior to the MK3 version had a leaf spring instead of a coiled spring. You could get the Trooper in .357 Mag. I don't know exactly when the .357Mag Colt became the Trooper which eventually evolved into the MK3 then the MK5. I believe from the schematics I've been looking at online that the Python has always posessed a leaf spring. The Python is the premier Colt 357 Mag caliber weapon and has a great deal more hand finishing than the Trooper. The Python also has a ?tapered barrel? that increases this handgun's accuracy.

So with what I think I know out of the way. For the my money should I look for an early Trooper or try to find a bargain Python for my next Colt purchase? Which is a better value for someone on a limited budget? I suspect that hands down the Python is the better weapon. But with the premium that people want for it now, is the best Colt 357 mag for the money?

Thanks for your opinions and time,

Dave

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
the trooper and 357 are both nice guns, all i have owned/handled have a very slick action.both are underpriced in my opinion although they are gaining.colt dropped the 357 because they soon introduced the python as high end gun and the trooper continued on as a cheaper option till 1969 when the mk series was introed to be COST COMPETITIVE with s&w and ruger as service guns.you cant go wrong with any of the three in my opinion

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Dave, you have the story pretty much straight.
If it were I, I would opt for the original Trooper or better yet the 357. These are the real sleepers and will increase your small collection value much greater, besides there are tons of Pythons out there and will be available for quite some time, not so with the Trooper or 357. Yeah, I know, the Python has the rep. and the glitzy snakey name, but the Trooper is just as good a gun in my book.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Guys,
Probably good advice, especially for the money spent.
I've owned both Pythons and a Trooper MKIII.
IF the older Troopers have an action similar to the Shooting Master and The OM series of revolvers, they'd be great to shoot.
My experience with the MKIII was disappointing. It felt like any S&W K-frame (later model), and wasn't even close to the Pythons, action-wise.
Not a BAD gun, but no OM or Python.
I'd like to try an early Trooper, though.
Don

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey DWR461, send me a private message and I'll hook you up with contact info to buy a 6" Trooper MkIII if you want it, price was $249, Shoodaddy

·
Registered
907 Posts
I believe that if you find an early Colt .357 with target hammer and stocks you will be delighted. Close your eyes and it's a Python /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well for now I'm going to be the proud new owner of a Trooper MK3 thanks to Shoodaddy. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif At $249 I couldn't resist the newer Colt. In the long term future I'll still be looking for an early model Trooper like you got there Bushwacker.

Dave

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Good decision (and price) on the Trooper Mark III. My one and only 357 version shoots very well. The 22's stay tucked away. But if I had a 95% 22 Trooper Mark III, I'd shoot the heck out of it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bushwacker, THAT is a beautiful set. Although I love my Pythons (have three, 2 1/2", 4", and 6") there's something about the look of the old Trooper that grows on you. I'm up to three old Troopers, 4" .38, 5" Nickel FHP .357, and 6" blue .357, plus a 4" Nickel .357. Just wish I could find a 4" blue .22 Trooper that wouldn't break the bank.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks, CFP. Actually, they're not Troopers, but Colt .357's. Early Troopers were not chambered in .357 magnum, the ".357" was a separate model. The ones in the picture were built in 1954 and 1955, so the early one was the ONLY Colt double action you could buy in .357 caliber in 1954. The Python was introduced in 1955. Anyway, these "pre-pythons" have as nice an action of any Colt DA I've handled.

So when you're Trooper hunting, keep your eyes open for ".357's" too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts