Colt Forum banner

Prefer vented or solid rib?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,689 Posts
I didn't know they made MKIII 's with a vented rib. I had only seen them on MK V's. May have to start looking for one now.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
The MKIII Trooper with the ventilated barrel are not common. I'm not aware of any production figures. They were a "transition" model until the MKV was released...

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
"How many would you guess is out there ?"

Based on the number I see offered up for sale, I'd guess maybe a total of 500 to 1,000 between the blue, nickel, and e-nickel finishes...

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
I believe it was the last couple of hundred but without researching Colt production records I don't think anyone really knows...and that's only if the production records make a notation of the vented barrels.

Personally I prefer the solid rib barrel as it doesn't look quite right compared to a full length barrel underlug such as the Python...but if a vented barrel Mark III came along I'd buy it without hesitation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe it was the last couple of hundred but without researching Colt production records I don't think anyone really knows...and that's only if the production records make a notation of the vented barrels.

Personally I prefer the solid rib barrel as it doesn't look quite right compared to a full length barrel underlug such as the Python...but if a vented barrel Mark III came along I'd buy it without hesitation.
No one likes a solid rib on a colt

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
"I think maybe 50"
No way of knowing for sure, but I see them on a fairly regular basis to be only 50 or so floating around out there.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
"You must be seeing mk v Troopers"

No, they are transition MKIII's with the ventilated barrel. I've had a couple myself over the past 30 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the Trooper, I prefer the solid rib. I cannot explain it, but it just does not look right to me with the vented rib.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts