Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I guess you can say "never say never",but if it was "round butted" by a gunsmith,the least he could have done was to put a set of Marshall or round butt O.P. stocks on it!!

The checkering at the bottom,does NOT look like a 4" Marshall I have,or a 2" O.P. with rounded butt(as most of these were shipped).

Picture isn't the clearest,and you did not include the advertisement for what the seller claims it to be.

Round butting was relatively frequent with revolvers to be carried "under a coat" etc. as the rounded butt certainly "printed" less than the square butt on the outer garmet material.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seller seems generally reputable. I have purchased from him and been satisfied, but nothing quite so "exotic". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whether or not this gun is "real", I think it's obvious why it was never offered as a regular production piece; looks lopsided, unbalanced, and just strange. I have a pair of pre-war O.P. grips (sq. butt, of course) on my 4 in. Elite which I think look terrific-plus they fit my short fingered hands better than those gawd-awful Hogues. Sure doesn't look like this one. -Asa

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
I'd want to get a factory letter before buying.
As always, buy the gun NOT the story.

I'm sure the Colt Custom Shop would do this on request, but without a factory letter it's always just a story.

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Several years ago, a fellow was offering a set of I-frame stocks in this round-butt configuration, claiming they were for a special-order PYTHON! I challenged him, believing they were off a Marshal. He was adamant they were off a Python. I believe the Custom Shop could have made a round-butt Python, but I would sure want to see the proof.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a set that was on EBay a while back that, at first glance, look like 2" Lawman stocks, but they aren't quite the right shape, the checkering extends higher and the screw hole is more forward. Something that I'm just not familiar with? They look more like E/I IMO.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A1A; Around 1981 or so,I think,Colt starting Angling the front corners of J frame stocks. I bought a Heavy Barrel O.P. Mk. III,38 Special that has these corners on the target style grips(I know O.P.s were supposedly gone by 176,or so,but thats why I bought this one!)

I can't recall what the Mk V Lawman "snub" had for stocks,but the Mk. Vs were only made for 2 years(83-85),and Those might even be service stocks for a Lawman. In any event,I think that the Lawman snub stocks only firt a "snub frame.

On the other,those stocks don't look the best quality!! Could something SILE had made in "Lower Slobovia",to try and sell over here. Some of their stocks,both Colt factory,and aftermarket,left something to be desired,like quality,IMO!

Stocks/grips are a bitch to buy on eBay,unless the seller has the correct gun to match them with. Right now,there are a nice pair of pre War silver medallion non magna S&Ws,that the seller claims are for N frame. They are NOT,and notonly can they been seen by someone experienced,seller says serial# in the 200k range is on th eback. Well pre war N's stopped at 62K,so"homework" could be done. In any event,the bids are escalating,some one will win them,get pissed when they don't fit-and seller has a "no return policy!!". Had some rotten experiences buying on eby for another hobby,die cast rucks(vintage),ebay Mgt. was "0" help,so I said "no more"!

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 4" Lawman MkV in the 1984 catalog has target stocks like the later MkIII. Don't know about the 2", but using the same thinking it might be these MkIII-like service stocks. I guess someone with an extensive catalog collection will have to look. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, the 2" Lawman MkV is one gun I would like to have.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I know that looks like a Python....but couldn't that be a Diamondback barrel and hammer on a Marshall or DS frame? We don't see it scale to anything so it could in fact be just that. Just like you could easily mistake a Police Positive Special for a Offical Police just looking at a picture itself.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the listing, it has a Vxxxxx serial, which is a Python serial and that better be the one on the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Maybe Jeff will get a convincing answer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Looks like a Python to me-and picture seems clearer now-and what about that "plum colored" cylinder latch??

Reblue(?) maybe when the gunsmith rounded the butt! Might as well do the whole gun not just the bottoms of the grip frames/butt!

Other than an alloy Courier I have,I have never seen "plum" on a factory Colt, Have on Rugers,and many of my Great Westerns(before I thinned that herd about 6 months ago) had the plum-as well as a couple of reblued S&Ws(not factory!)

All kidding aside-that would make a great concealment piece,in a Jackass shoulder holster under a sports coat/business suit!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts