Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered a Mk IV National Gold Cup National Match Pistol from an older family friend........... At 95 YO, he's wanting to sell his guns.

I last saw this pistol about 6 years ago and recall it is "as new" w/ box and docs. He's only shot it a few times.

My friend offered it to me for 800-900 dollars but I don't want or need it, as I don't care for the wide GC triggers, and I think its worth considerably more money.

I checked Proof House for S/N FN 3199X and can't find any info.

Can any of you shed and light on this pistol's MFG date and approx value?

I know pictures would help but he's in New Hampshire and doesn't own a computer, and I'm in CT.

I just don't want to see him sell this for less than it is worth.........

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help here.

Tom

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
If it is a Series 70 Mk IV GCNM you did not get the full serial number. It should probably be like 70N3199X, and manufacture would be 1976/77.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is a Series 70 Mk IV GCNM you did not get the full serial number. It should probably be like 70N3199X, and manufacture would be 1976/77.
JohnnyP,
Thank you. He quoted the S/N to me over the phone. No wonder I couldn't find any info on ProofHouse.

Thanks Again, I should have realized.

Tom

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
JohnnyP,

I just got off the phone with this mans son who had the pistol in his hand............The serial number really is FN3199X...........I guess I'll need to call Colt on Monday.

he also confirmed that his dad doesn't have the Box or Doc's for this gun................Too bad!

Thanks for your help and reply.

Tom

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Must be a Series 80 Gold Cup. Does the son know when his dad bought it?
Without the box or docs the quoted price doesn't seem too far off.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Sounds like a MK IV Series 80 Gold Cup, and $800 -$900 is about the right money, around here. "New in the box" six years ago might make it a Gold Cup Trophy, but stlll in the $850 range.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
After a further thought concerning the possibility of this being a Gold Cup Trophy,.... I actually woke up; and recalled the "Trophy" has serial number prefix of GCT, at least they did in the period of 6 or 7 years ago.

Your mention of the Gold Cup wide trigger, can also be a hint to a Gold Cup's age. The recently manufactured Gold Cup, while still with the wide trigger, will have a three hole aluminum trigger as opposed to the older "kidney bean" shape single opening. Both just slightly wider than 5/16", but look entirely different.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd say from the serial number prefix you gave its an 80 series blued model gold cup. Here where I live it's worth about 1000 to 1200 used but mint in a gun shop. With out box or papers a couple hundred less it a very desirable pistol they shoot great. I would not give it away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts