Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to understand what is evident to so many of you. What aspects of this firearm indicate original or redone finish? Are the edges soft? Should there be extruded metal around the stamping and roll marks?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Rollmarks and The Pony Stamp.... and the VP are one way. In the post war guns..the stampings were not polished and you should see where the metal was moved at the edges. Your nail should catch on it as you run it over it. And then you can see if the edges looked buffed or soft..where it should be sharp. And you can tell by the bluing job old re-blues can look black not blued.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have placed this in the revolvers section as I'm applying these pointers to all post war.

Using this one because it really confuses me. The curved edges of the cylinder flutes look soft to me and the scalloped edges at the leading edges of the top of the frame look buffed down from the one angle. Also, the roll marks don't exhibit pushed metal like some of my others. This particular one is an early 8".

Original finish or redone? Am I analyzing it correctly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Yes you are. The cylinder flutes look softened to me also. Also look for a larger than normal gap around the side-plate and dished screw holes. Blued sides on the hammer are a dead tip off to a re-blue. Pictures can be deceptive. It is easier to spot a re-finish when looking at the actual gun.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,438 Posts
Parrisjr, what I'm seeing is polishing marks under the blue and what looks like possible pitting under the blue on the right rear side just in front of the grips. These looks like scratches in the metal. In this case, it looks like the heavier polishing marks were not entirely removed before the next grit down was used.

On a factory Python you don't see those marks in the metal.
Yes the finish is very bright polish, but you don't necessarily look at how shiny the finish is, you look UNDER it to the metal.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Parrisjr, what I'm seeing is polishing marks under the blue and what looks like possible pitting under the blue on the right rear side just in front of the grips. These looks like scratches in the metal. In this case, it looks like the heavier polishing marks were not entirely removed before the next grit down was used.

On a factory Python you don't see those marks in the metal.
Yes the finish is very bright polish, but you don't necessarily look at how shiny the finish is, you look UNDER it to the metal.

Thanks dfariswheel,

I think this picture of the right side shows the scratches you are referring too also.........

Attachments

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Besides the soft lines. etc., that last picture, thumbnail, when clicked on enlarges the detail of the right side better and you can see the imperfections of pitting close to the buggered screw :( . I think dfariswheel is absolutely correct in that they cut corners in polishing down from a heavier grit to a lighter grit and didn't get the metal smoothed properly.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Look at the gleam lines or highlights. They should run dead parallel alongside the finished edges, not curved away from the edges. On the cylinder flutes, look how they curve outward at the cylinder mouth. Flute sides should be dead straight back until they begin to taper to the point at the rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.