Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put about 40 350 rem mag cases in my lyman tumbler. I am using the Lyman green, corn cob media. When I took the cases out, about 15 of them were caked with black crud and it was like glued to the side of the cases. I had to get a brass brush and scrub those cases,to get it off. They came out way worse than they went in. I have had it happen a few times over the years with various cases but I never figured out what was causing it. The media doesn't look that dirty
Has anyone ever had this happen? Do you think that the media is too dirty? Or could it be that was too many cases in there or could it be that somehow moisture got inside the cases and then caused it to stick to some cases?
I am also wondering why the black crud only stuck all over just some cases and not all.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That never happens with S.S. media and a Thumlers Tumbler. I gave up all that airborne gotta put my hands in God knows what for the exceptional cleaning and safer method.
It sounds like bullet lube and was attracted to the warmer pieces, the lube from cartridges that have shot cast bullets will form little tiny balls in dry media and eventually be attracted to something it likes. Your media appears to be clean because the little tiny lube balls have collected the grit from previous brass cleaning.
That would be my assessment given no visuals to examine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have gotten a similar black residue on some of my cases. Being a cheapskate, I use rice as a tumbling media, so I assumed the residue resulted from an interaction with the rice. Learning that it also happens with corncob media reinforces loneranger's theory about an intereaction with cast bullet lubricant--I recall the problem primarily being with .38 Special cases using cast bullets.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bullets that were shot in the 350 were spritzers (jacketed soft points) . But maybe the lube I put on the cases for full length resizing wasn't completely gone from the cases? I rub the cases in a towel before I seat the bullets but maybe enough of that lube gets into the corncob media from the residual on the cases?
I think I am going to replace the media and clean the insides of the tumbler,put brand new media in and try it again.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to try the stainless steel media If it will work in my plastic tumbler Thanks all, for the tip

·
Registered
18 Posts
try Walnut shells. i use walnut for dirty brass and run a bowl of corn cob to polish it. i have 4 large tumblers and prefer them to the Thumbler. I had an early Thumbler in the early 70's and it was just too slow. i was using it dry then with corn cob - like most folks.
I will move up to a cement mixer next!

·
Registered
23 Posts
get one of those dryer sheets used to soften close in the dryer. I use used ones and cut them up into about 2'' sq. pcs. they seem to collect all of the dirt and dust.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
get one of those dryer sheets used to soften close in the dryer. I use used ones and cut them up into about 2'' sq. pcs. they seem to collect all of the dirt and dust.[/QUOT

I will put some in next time with the clean media. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I know not to use new dryer sheets because of chemicals in them. Supposedly, they lose the chemicals in the dryer cycle. I have found that some brands retain some of the chemicals and they would bond walnut media to the cases. Very difficult to remove. So, I change media more often than I used to. I also buy walnut media at pet stores (sold as hamster bedding) and get it 50% cheaper than gun stores.

Buck

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haggis another good tip. I was using the corn cob media and this black crud,gunk was like welded on the cases. It took a long time to scrape it off. I was baffled at what a mess it made. Here I was trying to shine them up and just the opposite took place and the media didn't even look that dirty. I was tempted to throw away the gunked up cases but didn't.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's one more step, but after sizing, I drop the cases into bucket of hot water and laundry soap. Swish them around a little then rinse and lay them out on newspaper to dry. This gets rid of all the lube, even if it is not water soluble.

For extreme tarnished cases I use walnut w/ ruby rouge in it. Otherwise I just use corn cob with a little bit of Dillon's case polishing liquid.

·
Registered
76 Posts
try a cap of paint thinner in the media next time you start the tumble, that works for me. Its probably the dust sticking to the lube

1 - 14 of 14 Posts