Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am looking for opinions from my peers and any advanced collectors wishing to offer advice. I have an original Colt SAA made in 1884 that letters with very good provenance. Currently the Colt is in original condition. The backstrap and the one piece grip are not original to the pistol as manufactured but are period correct. All other parts are original as manufactured. Little finish remains on the revolver as it has turned to mostly a light smoke gray color. The metal and bore are very good with little to no pitting. My question is, do I send it to Turnbull or back to the Colt Factory to have the Colt restored or keep it as it is? Which will achieve the greatest investment value and possibly resale value? I do not have any plans on parting with it anytime soon, but I want to make it an investment Colt. As I am a relatively new Colt collector, can you offer your advice? Turnbull starts at $3400 and Colt has yet to quote a price for a complete restoration. Is it worth it, or will it deminish the already existing value of being nearly all original? Thank you in advance for the advice and opinions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My thoughts are from what you describe, leaving as is. I am highly suspect of any restoration efforts INCREASING value.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You will not be able to recoup the cost of restoration, you will have more money in it than you can sell it for. Turnbull would be the way to go, as he will use the orignal bluing and casehardening process, the Colt factory will just reblue it using a modern salt bluing method. In the condition you describe, I would keep it as is.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I've always found that restoring hurts the antique collector value,I leave all mine in as original condition as I can,sometimes I'll look @ one of them & wonder what kind of stories it could tell about how it came to get in the condition that it's in,I have one that I'm very fond of,it was owned by an old friend of mine that was a white mercenary that rode w/Pancho Villa,I met him about 55 yrs ago,he was about 65 then,had been a cowboy & ended up owning a couple liquor stores here in Az. later in life.I take it out of the safe about once a yr. & put a few rds thru it just for my own pleasure,it's like shooting a piece of history.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Absolutely leave it as is. Rather than spend over $3000 trying to make it look new again order a new SAA from the Colt custom shop for half that money.
Once the old patina is gone its gone for good, in this lifetime anyway, and to me thats very sad.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Put the gun down carefully, back away from this thought process and nobody wil get hurt.

If that was a parts gun with no provenance or history then I may feel different, but this is a case, restoration will hurt the value.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You didn't say if it is a "U.S." stamped gun which lettered to the Army and was possibly refurbished at some time, which would have way more value if left alone. Even a commercial civilian gun in original condition is worth more because of its history.The history on a reblued gun is pretty much cancelled out, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Unlike antique cars, old guns don't benefit from being restored. Please leave as is. It already is an investment Colt.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
There is something unigue about older/used guns that have a honest wear and age. I agree with leave it as is and invest your money in another one that suits your taste.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Leave it as it is...Any enhancement would decrease its value..History has already been built in...Jim

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
It's only original once. And even though it isn't 100% original it has period correct pieces. My opinion is that it took a long time to look like the old warrior that it is - I'd leave it alone. AND we would LOVE to see pictures!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree with the "leave as is" folks. If is marked U.S. and has a 5.5" barrel then it is most likely an Artillery Model which could explain the non-original parts. My 1883 Artillery has 3 different serial numbers. I too would love to see pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Someone somewhere told me that if you take an original $2000 gun, spend $1000 'restoring' it, you'll turn it into a $1500 gun.

Leave it alone, please.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Collectors collect and pay for originality. If shiny new is what you are after, sell that one to a collector. Then buy a new one as twaits suggested.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
Definitely leave it as is. The only time I ever consider restoring a gun is when it has been abused or poorly refinished in the past.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts