Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering what you guys think of the value of a 3 gun set of the following pistols engraved by Charles McManis with some work done by Doug Turnbull. I think they are gorgeous but have no idea as to value. They were offered to my friend who thinks he may have to pass on the sale so he mentioned it to me:
(I should mention there are no boxes and no COA, only an email exchange with McManis in which he confirms them as his work).
1903 - .38
1903 - .32
1908 - .25

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
They are gorgeous but will be very hard to resell if it comes to that. As to value, that is relative to the buyer and in my opinion is based on 3 components (1) Base price of the guns, assuming each to be 60% to 70% original before the work started in my part of the world around $1600 to $1800 if buying individually although if buying the 3 I would discount the package about 20%, (2) cost of engraving and refinish around $3000 (3) desirability to purchaser, this is completely abstract and up to the individual. Personally I wouldn't care for the 1903 Pocket hammer at all except at the unaltered price which I make at $600 to $700 based on recent personal transactions. on the other 2 I would offer $1500 for the pair and be prepared to go to $2000 if you really want them. Personally I think they cry out for ivory grips to give contrast and also to draw out the engraving. Please let us know what he is asking if only in a PM
Mike

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are gorgeous but will be very hard to resell if it comes to that. As to value, that is relative to the buyer and in my opinion is based on 3 components (1) Base price of the guns, assuming each to be 60% to 70% original before the work started in my part of the world around $1600 to $1800 if buying individually although if buying the 3 I would discount the package about 20%, (2) cost of engraving and refinish around $3000 (3) desirability to purchaser, this is completely abstract and up to the individual. Personally I wouldn't care for the 1903 Pocket hammer at all except at the unaltered price which I make at $600 to $700 based on recent personal transactions. on the other 2 I would offer $1500 for the pair and be prepared to go to $2000 if you really want them. Personally I think they cry out for ivory grips to give contrast and also to draw out the engraving. Please let us know what he is asking if only in a PMMike
Thank you very much Mike. That was extremely helpful. I sent you a pm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.