Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted the seller and he sent a couple more photos. I am guessing this was redone by someone that has the ability to redo an acid-etch panel. What do you think? He's wanting $4995 which is way above what I would pay for a refurbished gun. The seller feels it has been re-nickeled and judging from the soft edges and markings I would agree. The grips are ivory. Serial 53181.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice work but not top drawer, ala Martin, Lanara or other top SAA artists.if it were, the seller would have tooted that fact. So another overpriced Colt whose seller wants a big payday, or they overpaid and are in the hole. May or may not have started life as a etched panel 44-40. Quick Colt lookup shows that serial number belongs to an 1880 SAA, no further info without a phone call to Colt or a factory letter. Would take a detailed, disassembly review by a Colt expert at this asking price level. As a rework, refinished SAA, it should be more in the 1500-2500 level as a nice shooter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Well it does not look like anyone professional did work on this one
Very soft edges
Overworked everywhere and even the grip frame they did not spend the time to make it right
To my eyes looks like it was made for least amount of work and hope for max profit
I would expect much higher quality fit and finish from those who were discussed
This look like amateur work
They are dreaming at their price too
I would not pay 1500 for that one
Would cost u twice that to fix and then what do u have?
Hard pass for sure
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am suspicious of the cylinder numbers. They look crisper than the frame and TG numbers. I think MLV is on the right track. This is what happens when you combine sleeping meds and love of acid-etch panel Colts... I get worked up over nothing!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
With that tall front sight I suspect someone put a peacemaker centennial barrel on an old Colt. But I am far from an expert on such matters.
The peacemaker centennial has a different shaped front sight, a coarser, grittier etched panel, and commemorative markings on the right side (deep and hard to remove). It also has an italic address, don't know is this one does.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I saw this on GI yesterday. Without talking about the authenticity or correctness of the gun, I'll say this ad highlights something I have never understood, and something that usually just makes me mad if I think about it too hard.

The seller is asking $5K for the gun. Okay. That's his choice. But who in their right mind is going to get up off of $5K based on four mediocre photographs that really don't show much of anything about the gun? Plus, the seller mentions "the Cody letter". Well, what Cody letter? Where is it? Got a letter? Let's see it.

Anyway, we see this all the time on every guns-for-sale website in the known universe. Say you're a seller. You have the gun out and you're photographing it. Why show only one or two shots? Or only four? GI certainly allows more than four photos. As do other sites.

Okay, I realize this is slightly off-topic regarding this particular gun. I'll stop talking about it now.

·
Registered
914 Posts
PC CFSS came with two heights of front sight. One is tall and usually hits POI at about 25 yards. The other is short as with originals and is probably on at 100 yards. I have three of the tall ones And a friend has a short one. Can’t comment otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw this on GI yesterday. Without talking about the authenticity or correctness of the gun, I'll say this ad highlights something I have never understood, and something that usually just makes me mad if I think about it too hard.

The seller is asking $5K for the gun. Okay. That's his choice. But who in their right mind is going to get up off of $5K based on four mediocre photographs that really don't show much of anything about the gun? Plus, the seller mentions "the Cody letter". Well, what Cody letter? Where is it? Got a letter? Let's see it.

Anyway, we see this all the time on every guns-for-sale website in the known universe. Say you're a seller. You have the gun out and you're photographing it. Why show only one or two shots? Or only four? GI certainly allows more than four photos. As do other sites.

Okay, I realize this is slightly off-topic regarding this particular gun. I'll stop talking about it now.
I get what you're saying. Four small photos that don't show anything about the gun. I asked for larger photos and he sent me the same four over again. I asked for photos of the markings and you see what I got; a blurry photo. I assume he is not camera literate and doesn't know what a collector is wanting to see, yet he's asking for collector prices, and like you say, doesn't show the meat of the topic. I told him I am not interested.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
PC CFSS came with two heights of front sight. One is tall and usually hits POI at about 25 yards. The other is short as with originals and is probably on at 100 yards. I have three of the tall ones And a friend has a short one. Can’t comment otherwise.
They both have a front sight very different in shape from this gun. The texture of the etched panel is completely different. The commemorative has a crude rough panel.

·
Registered
488 Posts
With prices up right now, it is the time for people to get rid of guns with problems and hope to hit a homerun (or at least recover what they sunk into something).

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
I contacted the seller and he sent a couple more photos. I am guessing this was redone by someone that has the ability to redo an acid-etch panel. What do you think? He's wanting $4995 which is way above what I would pay for a refurbished gun. The seller feels it has been re-nickeled and judging from the soft edges and markings I would agree. The grips are ivory. Serial 53181.

View attachment 745468 View attachment 745469 View attachment 745470 View attachment 745471 View attachment 745472 View attachment 745473
The CFSS etching is definitely redone. This gun was polished by a lousy "gunsmith", with abilities far below someone like Dave Lanara (or me too for that matter).

I never heard the term "soft edges" until visiting this forum. That is a strange phrase to me, but everyone here seems to use it. It is caused by someone polishing the frame, BS, and TG separately. As a result, those mating edges become rounded.

Reactions: superdave269

·
Registered
488 Posts
If that is real Ivory, there is a day coming that paying $4K for a gun just to get the Ivory is considered a good deal. As it is, someone could buy the gun, consider having a grand in the grips and part the rest of it out for some good money. Nickeled hammers first gen hammers in good mechanical shape are bringing $350 and up these days. I wouldn't pay the asking price, but I would rip my pants pocket off to get my wallet if the ivory is real and someone asked $1500 to $2000 for it as has been suggested as value.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts