Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went holster hoppin' at a couple guns shops today. Got a great Berns-Martin holster posted elsewhere here. In the cheap gun rack where you can pick stuff up I saw a reblued Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage. It was a little over buffed, maybe more than I remember, but had the original steel butt plate with no pad. I didn't understand the scribbled price tag. It looked like $50. I asked the guy what the first digit is and he said it is in fact $50. It also had one of those cool curved tang peep sights that screw on to the rear "hump". That alone is worth more than $50. I didn't understand this but I bought it. Have to wait ten days now. I have .300 Savage model 81 and love it. I'll see if this thing shoots OK because I have ammo. I just don't know why the gun shop didn't buy it from the seller who's consignment payout will only be about $35. This was very, very, weird. Maybe the rifle is haunted or something.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Golly, for $50.00 Bucks, you sure can not go wrong on a refinished Remington Model 81..!

Looking forward to the images and Range Report!

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I went holster hoppin' at a couple guns shops today. Got a great Berns-Martin holster posted elsewhere here. In the cheap gun rack where you can pick stuff up I saw a reblued Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage. It was a little over buffed, maybe more than I remember, but had the original steel butt plate with no pad. I didn't understand the scribbled price tag. It looked like $50. I asked the guy what the first digit is and he said it is in fact $50. It also had one of those cool curved tang peep sights that screw on to the rear "hump". That alone is worth more than $50. I didn't understand this but I bought it. Have to wait ten days now. I have .300 Savage model 81 and love it. I'll see if this thing shoots OK because I have ammo. I just don't know why the gun shop didn't buy it from the seller who's consignment payout will only be about $35. This was very, very, weird. Maybe the rifle is haunted or something.
WOW! Terrific score!

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the one I have now. I love this rifle type because they resemble a Model 11 Rem. shotgun, and they were sporting rifles that looked almost military. Let's see if a couple show up in that new Bonnie & Clyde T.V. movie that lookd too glossy in the commercials.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's Browning designed and actually long recoil operated. The 300 Savage is the best chambering in the Model 81, imho.
I think so, too. It' almost a .308. a deer wouldn't notice the difference in the forest if shot with this "Woodsmaster". I brought this boar hunting once and my friend carried his old Remington Model 721 .300 H&H magnum. Too bad we didn't see any pigs on our old time Remington hunt. The barrel recoil on this rifle seems to create much more recoil than my lighter Savage 99 Model EG. It has a metal butt plate, too, and recoil is no big deal with that gun. The Remington is so much fun to shoot because all those noisy moving parts when it goes off. Like the uncoupling of a train car, as a gun writer once described a Winchester model 95.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
WOW that price does sound too good to be true. Now won't it be something if it shoots great and has no mechanical issues.
It's great to get a real deal once in a while.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sounds like this gun is being sold as a wall hanger. buyer beware.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like this gun is being sold as a wall hanger. buyer beware.
This gunshop/ gunsmith has a tendency not to put consignments out that have problems. He wouldn't take as consignment a Colt P.P. I showed them because it didn't index unless you cock it with inertia. So I'm jazzed about this rifle and like the gamble. I would have paid $50 for the tang sight on this rifle that a Rem. collector already told me is worth $100. But we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Nice snag!

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hey there Matt;

After you get back from the range with it, be sure to tell us all what it did to you. You know how some of these old rifles can have their own personality.

Be careful though, as I've also seen how some of these old rifles can turn on you and send round after round to the outside edge of the paper. I hope yours is a hitter though, so good luck with it Matt.

Love to hear how it turns out for you.

Bud

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I havent been buying guns for quite awhile. I was pretty active back in the 70s. I found a number of times deals even for the day that the shops had. I think its because no one can keep up with all the old models etc. I found many years ago the more you educated yourself on various brands the more deals you will find.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I havent been buying guns for quite awhile. I was pretty active back in the 70s. I found a number of times deals even for the day that the shops had. I think its because no one can keep up with all the old models etc. I found many years ago the more you educated yourself on various brands the more deals you will find.
After I paid for the rifle the clerk took it through the doorway where the gunsmith is and I heard him tell him, "We just sold this for $50!" The same clerk who charged me for the slightly modified Berns-Martin holster knew it was a B-M and mentioned their desirability, said he has Sixguns By Keith which describes these holsters and thought $25 was a fair price. My holster Guru Turnerriver told me that it might be worth $75-$100 bucks, especially if actually made for a SAA. So, even gunshop people don't necassarilly keep track on rather obscure older stuff, like you said above.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Those Remington Model 8 & 81s are neat ole rifles IMO. We have four of them. A Model 8C in .35, two 81s in .300 Savage, and an 81 in .35 Remington. I agree that ballistically the .300 savage is the best chambering, but that .35 ain't no slouch, and with a heavier bullet rattles you a bit more than the .300.

Those receiver sight get on up in prices on eBay, So if the rifle is intact and functions that you got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Even if it's inoperative the parts are worth 'way more than $50!

When I was a kid the local "cattle baron," a friend of our family and a really down-to-earth guy who earned every nickel he ever had, owned the only non-Winchester on the mountain, a Remington Model 81 in .300.

We thought it was about as deadly as a death ray. Actually it was deadly because this guy could really shoot and had learned on a BAR in lovely Sicily in 1943, with post-graduate work in Southern Italy in 1944. (If you've ever been to Salerno, you will truly feel for the poor Allies who got landed there--talk about walking into a shooting gallery.....).

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
My Model 8 in 35 Remington. Great woods gun with a fast follow up shot capability. You can see where the safety design for the AK47 came from. Good used tang sights are running about $150 in my area. The serial number on this one is about 75 from the one that Frank Hammer used to kill Bonnie & Clyde. Here's a good web site with plenty of info on the Model 8 & 81. The Great Model 8 & 81

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Model 8 in 35 Remington. Great woods gun with a fast follow up shot capability. You can see where the safety design for the AK47 came from. Good used tang sights are running about $150 in my area. The serial number on this one is about 75 from the one that Frank Hammer used to kill Bonnie & Clyde. Here's a good web site with plenty of info on the Model 8 & 81. The Great Model 8 & 81
I really prefer the looks and feel of the straight gripped Model 8 compared to my chunkier 81, but I never shot one. My choice for a Model 8 would definitely be .35. A Model 8 in .25 Remington always sounded interesting, too.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I really like the old Remington Model 8s.

I used to shoot a friend's sometimes a long time ago, and I remember it had a sort of 'Ker-chunk!' way about the cycling...in a nice way I mean, and I really liked it.

His was in .35 Rem, and, now that I think of it, his also had the extra capacity detachable Magazines and was once used by Kansas City PD way back when.

Seeing this Thread kind of inspires me to maybe find one in .300 Savage.

Then I start thinking "Maybe I should just get a '99 Savage in .300 Savage..."

Then I start thinking "Maybe I should get a '99 Savage in .300 Savage, and for it to be a Take-Down Model."

Then I do not know what to do.

Local Gun Show this Week-End, so...who knows?? Maybe one will jump out and say 'Hello!'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts