Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Colt fans,

As a Colt newbie I'm curious what the twist rate is of a Peacekeeper? Shortly I hope to own a NIB Peacekeeper.
Can anybody tell me more about the Peacekeeper?. I know they are produced from 1985 to 1989. When I have the gun I will post the serial number to get the year of production.

Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,229 Posts
Colt uses a 1 turn in 14" rifling twist.
This faster twist is one reason for Colt's reputation for better accuracy.

The Peacekeeper is an unpolished, black finished Colt Trooper Mark V.

When Colt did a slight redesign of the Trooper Mark III, the resulting gun was known as the Trooper Mark V.

The difference between the Mark III and the Mark V was, the Mark V had:
A new barrel with vents in the rib.
A new cast steel hammer and trigger, which was Colt's first "short action".
A longer mainspring with a relocated seat.
A rounded butt frame.

These changes were intended to improve the trigger pull and update the appearance.

In 1985 to 87, during the big Colt strike, Colt didn't have enough polishers still working to enable them to keep production up.
So, Colt introduced a series of unpolished, black finished revolvers.

These included:
The Commando which was an unpolished Detective Special.
An unpolished Cobra and Agent.
And an unpolished Trooper Mark V made as the Peacekeeper.

Internally, the Peacekeeper was as well finished as the polished Mark V, but had a rough black finish and Colt medallion-ed Pachmayr Gripper rubber grips.

These unpolished guns were not very popular, and as soon as the strike ended, they were discontinued.

Later in the 1980's, Colt added a new profile barrel to the Mark V, made it in stainless and blued steel and sold it as the King Cobra.

Like all the Trooper Mark III, Mark V, and King Cobra guns, the Peacekeeper is an extremely strong, durable gun.

As in all these guns, the only "weakness" is that a few gun "may" have a firing pin that's too hard, and "might" break if the gun is dry fired too much.

The fix for this is to use snap caps.
This should be done, since a broken firing pin is a factory replacement ONLY, as the job requires special tools to prevent damaging the frame.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You'll like the Peacekeeper, it's a nice gun. I have so many safe queens but this is one I actually shoot:

I figure it'll never have much collector value, so it sees range time. Mine's s/n 64xxxV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the info. Like the picture and Dfariswheel thanks especially for the info. You don't see the Peacekeeper often in the Netherlands. Many people don't like the matt finish. They say it's scratch sensitive....

I'm gonna shoot the 4" Peacekeeper coming friday at the shooting range en if I like it I buy it. It's from a collector who "desperate" needs to get rid of it. Price: $430,- for a NIB Peacekeeper a nice price I think.

Hmm my 686-5, 6" barrel has got a rate twist of 1 turn in 18.75". Interesting how the accuracy turns out.

Hope don't get infected by the Colt fan virus.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Indeed very rare in our nice flat country.
I think you did very well for that price.
Let us know how you're doing at the range.

Gunsmoke.

P.S.

Abandon all hope! You are already infected and it will spread!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Peacekeeper will become one of the "sleepers" for future collectors, Colts attempt to try and compete with the S&W Highway Patrolman model,that was NOT parkerized,or matte,over the entire gun,but on virtually the same areas that Colt's standard" Dual(or duo) Tone blue was in the early 50's: Always felt this is where S&W got the idea from.

Knew a young cop,whose grandad had given him a new Peacekeeper as a graduation gift from the criminal justice academy,in the late 80's, He could NOT carry it it any department that he applied to,as they had all gone to "spray and pray" windernines and .40 S&Ws.

Bud

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@gunsmoke,

Hmm I think I'm infected by the Colt virus. Keep you informed about my findings with the Peacekeeper. And that's a fine gun you have. Never saw a Diamondback here in the Netherlands.

It's a pitty that in our flat country there aren't that many Colt fans....traditionally it's more S&W minded. My guess is that Colt has build a bad reputation in the last two to three decades due to the changing quality of the Colts leaving the factory at Hartford. Furthermore there is the perception(true or not...) that S&W's have the best SA & DA available of all revolvers. Yes even the Python. Hope that the Peacekeeper can break with this "believe".

@lonewolf:
I hope that the Peacekeeper will become one of the sleepers in the near future. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Armes de poing,

For DB-s check these sites.

www.bold-action.com for a 6" .22LR DB for 325 euri
www.hendrixvanderputten.nl for a 4" .38S DB for 225 euri

They are out there!

It's indeed a crying shame that a few mishaps devaluated Colt as a fine brand of firearms to where it is today.
Only thing going in the Netherlands are the M-16/AR-15 sporting rifles.
Now and then you might run into a couple of pistols but for revolvers you will find the occasional Python or KC and the rest is IMOO sheer dumm luck or/and a blessing from above!

FWIW: although DA/SA of S&W-s 686 is pretty good, there are a few people at this forum who will say that nothing equals the action of a Python espescially from an early production year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts