Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I looked at two Colt Lighting pumps both were 45-85 cal. LARGE FRAME Now one had a full octagon barrel and the other one was a half octagon and round barrel I bought the half octagon after wards I am trying to find out if one was more rare than the other . What do you guys think

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Guys I looked at two Colt Lighting pumps both were 45-85 cal. LARGE FRAME Now one had a full octagon barrel and the other one was a half octagon and round barrel I bought the half octagon after wards I am trying to find out if one was more rare than the other . What do you guys think

I think the 1/2 round would be less common.
I really like them.
How about a pic?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any original half-octagon Lightning is extremely rare. I've only seen one correct half-octagon large frame Lightning. I'd love to see pictures. You have to look over any half octagon barrels, because I've seen several that were turned down on a lathe to reduce weight. It's usually pretty easy to tell if the work is factory quality. Check out the video I just posted on the forum of my wife and I shooting a couple of 45-85 large frames.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any original half-octagon Lightning is extremely rare. I've only seen one correct half-octagon large frame Lightning. I'd love to see pictures. You have to look over any half octagon barrels, because I've seen several that were turned down on a lathe to reduce weight. It's usually pretty easy to tell if the work is factory quality. Check out the video I just posted on the forum of my wife and I shooting a couple of 45-85 large frames.
That is correct. The half round barrels were special order, like pistol grip stock, checkering, butt plate changes and so on. Nice pick up. I am envious.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Frazer I think you already have a very nice 45-85!
You are right there. I think there is over a dozen in there, various models. All better than most, some pretty classy. The problem is I am pushing 70 and the daughter (only child) isn't all that interested in them or any of the others rifles.

Funny story (not funny Ha-Ha). I have been chasing a large frame carbine in 38-56 from this guy for years. He doesn't really want it, but knows i do. Anyway, just heard, His extra garage/mancave/workshop/gun storage area burnt down. Large amounts of gasoline, propane and such made a grand fire evidently. So the carbine is gone. I will find one.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
You are right there. I think there is over a dozen in there, various models. All better than most, some pretty classy. The problem is I am pushing 70 and the daughter (only child) isn't all that interested in them or any of the others rifles.

Funny story (not funny Ha-Ha). I have been chasing a large frame carbine in 38-56 from this guy for years. He doesn't really want it, but knows i do. Anyway, just heard, His extra garage/mancave/workshop/gun storage area burnt down. Large amounts of gasoline, propane and such made a grand fire evidently. So the carbine is gone. I will find one.
Now they even more rare

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Funny story (not funny Ha-Ha). I have been chasing a large frame carbine in 38-56 from this guy for years. He doesn't really want it, but knows i do.
I had a similar experience. A 'friend' I worked with knew I rebuilt and was in the market for a Stevens 44 1/2 frame to make into a nice single shot rifle. He knew of a coworker who had one but wasnt sure whether he wanted it for himself. Said he would let me know. Days turned into weeks into months with me often asking him if he wants it, to "you know what" or get off the pot. Well, turns out he didnt want it but he wasn't going to let ME get it either. Never gave me the name of the coworker. I finally gave up. About 2 or 3 years later i meet a coworker who turns out is into guns too. Turns out he was the one who had the Stevens 44 1/2. Of course it was too late for me then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts