Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across this picture I have of a holster I made for a forum member some years back. He said he wanted a SAA holster to match his service belt. I figured he meant to wear off duty hunting or fishing, etc. But turned out he was a Police Chief and packed a pair of single action .45s on duty. I recalled his name was "Reece" then looked at an east Texas map if any cities rang a bell. "Jacksonville" did and that was it. Then I saw Reece was his first name. He wore a Colt strong side in the basketweave holster I made him along with a cartridge slide and a Cimarron cross draw. He qualified with both and has been in shootouts but not with these guns. He didn't elaborate and I didn't intrude asking details. He's "RDaniel" here but hasn't posted in a long time. Here's an article about him and a picture he sent me back then.

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/news/reece-daniel-portrait-of-a-police-chief-as-an-artist/article_5422ca81-7de7-57c8-a20c-d94f3cd02a9a.html

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Thanks Wyatt, that was interesting. In 1978 I was flying my citabria from California to Wisconsin. Weather forced me down at Murdo S. Dakota for about three days. Somehow I got hooked up with the county sheriff, Mac Mc something. He was about sixty years old at the time. Mac carried a nickel colt 4 3/4" saa in .45 colt. I think he was a one man show for the county serving warrants etc. I rode with him a few days since I was marooned. Mac drove a old red comet with the seat springs poking me. He kept a single barrel shotgun in the car.
I think he was the second and last leo I ever seen to still carry a single action. Somewhere I have a picture of him standing by my plane and will post it if I can find and print it. That story reminded me of Mac.
Did find a picture of me and the plane back about then.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I think your holster and the rig look good, although I think he should have you make up a cross draw with basket weave to match.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
That was many years ago. Yes, I did some basic aerobatics. I had it stored many years and finally got it restored, flew it a year or two and sold it about two years ago. I got health problems and the wife wouldn't fly with me. If she would we would have been close to useful as we both are huge and gas would be nice to take along. It`s a 1972 GCBC.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
That was many years ago. Yes, I did some basic aerobatics. I had it stored many years and finally got it restored, flew it a year or two and sold it about two years ago. I got health problems and the wife wouldn't fly with me. If she would we would have been close to useful as we both are huge and gas would be nice to take along. It`s a 1972 GCBC.
Citabria + Trans Am = :cool::cool::cool:
Same as Police Chief,that doesn't need no stinking plastic pistols.:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
639 Posts
The 7GCBC is a nice airplane. A foot more wing and flaps are useful. Unlike most airplanes, landing distance is a little longer than take-off distance. If you can get into a strip without scaring yourself, you most likely can fly out. It is a reasonable airplane cross-country, it will outrun most Cessna 172's and folks go cross country in those all the time. I flight plan mine at 100 knots and 8.5 gallons per hour.

951852.jpg

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Mine was first sold to tow gliders. The prop was pitched finer. I flew it that way for a short while and it really performed but was like driving a car in second gear with not as much top end. Soon got it repitched to standard. I once got in a spot. I was flying with a cousin that had never flown before. We both had to take a whiz and I landed on a service road in a large Christmas tree farm in Wisconsin. There was maybe only a few feet between the wing tips and the thick trees on each side. Just as we were touching down a huge buck ran out ahead of us! He ran straight ahead and I might have even nipped his tail. He finally ran in the trees. I had to chop on taking off and try again to get out of there it was so short and dicey. My cousin went and started lessons so it didn't scare him out. I first soloed in a 65 hp Luscombe 53 years ago so if you lived through those you were ready to fly about anything they used to say. Miss flying.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
After that experience you might have needed to stop and get out to whiz anymore..."Cleanup on Aisle 3" as in the cabin floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts