Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a couple of old timers out this afternoon. Both shoot OK and are a blast to shoot and fun to think of where all they have been in the last 140+ years.
Couple questions, the one with the ivory letters to 1877 the wood replacement grips one to 1876. I have another that letters to 1879 and all three have this same barrel length. All cut down to about 4 7/8". Any reason for this specific length or just coincidence? Was this a popular or "easy" length to cut to?
next question, the bullseye ejector heads are different on the two guns. Is this correct? IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1148.JPG IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1152.JPG

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
If they were cut much shorter, the ejector rod would not attach. I always assumed that the shorter the barrel, the faster one could clear the holster. Also, the shorter the barrel, the less weight one had to carry on their hip.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they were cut much shorter, the ejector rod would not attach. I always assumed that the shorter the barrel, the faster one could clear the holster. Also, the shorter the barrel, the less weight one had to carry on their hip.
Yes for sure but I guess just a coincidence that 3 I have are almost cut to the same length. And when I see others that are cut it seems like most are this same length. You don't see many cut to 5.25" or 5.75"...

Also, the bullseye heads that are different sizes, are they correct?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
"Also, the bullseye heads that are different sizes, are they correct?"

The one on the nickel gun looks correct, the other one looks like a non factory or homemade replacement.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Nice old pair!

I agree with Swamp Rat, the formerly blued gun's bullseye ejector knob is a shade tree made piece. And please replace the stainless hex head cyl pin retaining screw! Authentic replacement parts for both items are available. Just remove the bluing with Naval Jelly rust remover which will leave a gray finish so they'll match the gun.

I too have noticed many Colt barrels shortened to 4 7/8" or 5". With tongue placed firmly in cheek I'll say because the gunsmiths wanted us collectors to know at a glance they are not original short barrel Colts. But seriously, many that were shortened way back when they were cut, most may not have known or been familiar enough with the exact length of Colt's new short barrel official length of 4 3/4". And just picked an even 5" for those, but the 4 7/8" still makes me wonder.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am not sure if it actually was his, but I have seen photos on line of a nickel plated .45 with ivory grips that allegedly belonged to Billy the Kid. The front sight is missing, and the barrel is is cut about the same length, that 4 7/8" to 5" length.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I would love to know where they have been during their lifetime. I'll bet they have some stories to tell and some would be when their barrels were still 71/2". Thanks for sharing. Joseph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts