Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I picked up a Colt LW Commander in 38 Super to keep my other Colt Super 38 company. The Super 38 was made in 1948 and the LWC in about 1952. Both are in excellent condition. Just wanted to share. : )

I also have a vintage .22LR conversion unit that came with the Super 38 (from approx 1948 as well). I'm concerned that the recoil springs may have gotten confused over the years between the conversion unit and the regular gun. The slide seems to open very easily with the spring in the gun now (compared to the LWC and other 1911s). Comparing the two springs, I don't "feel" any difference in strength. Both are of about the same wire gauge, but one is slightly shorter. Does anyone know how to tell which spring is which? Are they supposed to be the same "weight" or should the .22 spring be lighter. Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
535 Posts
Rob, you're a lucky man!If you tell me your wife's a model and your children are all doctors, I'm REALLY gonna' feel like a failure! Seriously, thanks for the pix. You're very good with the camera, too. I really love the vintage Colts and I've been intrigued by the .38 super for some time now but haven't done anything about it yet. I have looked at a sister to your gov't model and we may go on it sometime. But not this month ... In Kansas, if your name starts with a V or W, this is the month to give the Governor his due. (And then some.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts