Colt Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Following about thirty years of using the two-handed Weaver stance exclusively, I became bored with the position and began shooting strong-hand-only Bullseye style with all handguns. It took much practice, but I've enjoyed a more interesting and challenging form of shooting a handgun; I'm not training for combat situations. I almost always shoot at 25 yards and occasionally at 50, the latter certainly a humbling experience for me.

Some things I've noticed... Bullseye-style shooting forces one to develop good technique and shooting skills. If a shooter is already at least moderately skilled in the two-handed Weaver stance, it's very easy, second nature in fact, to instantly revert back to that style of shooting without skill loss. After practicing at 25 yards, skill level at shorter distances increases markedly, enough so that shooting up close is unnecessary except for confirming any possible change in bullet impact vs. point-of-aim.

It may vary from one shooter to another, but for me, bullet impact at 25 yards, regardless of whether shooting a revolver or semi-automatic pistol, is always several inches higher when using the Bullseye position vs. the Weaver stance. In a defense situation at 25 yards or closer, this wouldn't matter regardless of the stance used.

When using the Bullseye stance, I always fire revolvers single-action. However, reverting back to two-handed shooting and firing double-action is easy to do and requires no thought if one was originally trained in this manner.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts