Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a 6" two tone Python today. It was nickel with a blued hammer, trigger, and cylinder. I had been shot a good bit, and looked to be between 95 and 98%. No box or papers. It also needed a set of the correct grips. The shop wanted around $1,300.00 for it. If it had been in better condition I might well have bought it, after checking it out. Its appearance was striking. Did Colt make many of these? Robba

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
With Colt, it's hard to say.
Colt did make a few "pinto" Colt Detective Specials.
Some had nickel frames with blued parts, the other batch had blued frames with nickel parts.

I'd guess it's at least possible Colt made a short run OR this was a special order from the Custom Shop.

After-market alterations like this are not too uncommon, there was a spate of it when the movie "Electra Glide in Blue" came out.
In that movie Robert Blake starred as a motorcycle cop with a Python with a blued frame, and nickel barrel and cylinder.

I will say this: For that kind of money, I'd want a Historical Letter from Colt to verify that this was a factory job.
If it wasn't, then the price would be LOWER than an unaltered Python.

$1300 for a well-used non-factory Python is DREAMING.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I do not believe this Python will letter. I also doubt the letter would explain the details of the finish even if it did leave the factory this way. Too bad the Colt letter doesn't give the information found in the Smith letter.

If this gun is a fake, $1300 is a huge amount of money. To me, if it's fake, it's worthless. If you buy this gun just be sure you have a back out agreement with the seller.

A couple of years ago I did see a 2 tone Python, blued with a nickel cylinder. I don't think this gun was for real either. Just my .02

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me! For us to pay $1,300.00 for someones fantasy gun is out of the question. It did look neat though, and the blue on the cylinder, hammer, and trigger did look like the rich dark Colt blue. If it was $750.00, I'd bought it as a shooter to show off at the range, but double that no way. I said on another post how surprised we have been lately to see so many obvious re-blues, touch ups, and attempts to pass off altered guns as genuine. If we have any doubts we can't somehow allay them with factory word, or letter we pass it by.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts