Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an O.P. marked "U.S." in small characters on the butt. It also has a lanyard ring and was built in 1936. Does this indicate issue by a federal agency? It apparently has had a colorful history as the blackstrap is marked for the West Virginia Dept. of Public Safety. The frame has an electro pencilled marking for Moundsville State Prison too! I am very curious about the possible U.S. govt. history.I sent for a letter today. Just hoping hoping someone here had some info also.......Thanks!Charles

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
Hope you get an interesting lettter. The good old Official Police was used by more federal, state, and local governemt agencies than you and I can think of. These solid old Colt revolvers were present during numerous truly historic events. While some may ooh and ahh over other more glamorous Colt models (the Python for one) the good old OP has been just hanging around quietly doing its job for an whole bunch of decades. I think some forum members are still carrying an OP for a duty sidearm. The OP is just one great Colt revovler. My thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well said, Colt75!

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Hope you get an interesting lettter. The good old Official Police was used by more federal, state, and local governemt agencies than you and I can think of. These solid old Colt revolvers were present during numerous truly historic events. While some may ooh and ahh over other more glamorous Colt models (the Python for one) the good old OP has been just hanging around quietly doing its job for an whole bunch of decades. I think some forum members are still carrying an OP for a duty sidearm. The OP is just one great Colt revovler. My thoughts on the matter.
Bravo! That's exactly what I like about the 4" pre war O.P. and why I will eventually get one .

·
Registered
376 Posts
They are the sweetest shooting revolvers, I have one only a martially marked 5 inch barrel revolver made in 1941 in 38-200. Shoots as good as it looks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts