Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm going to say most of us have them anyway. I've got at least a dozen or so. That Dalton model certainly has caught my eye too.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,917 Posts
Dont have a dalton, not a fan of the 5 1/2 inch barrel, but I do have a few Uberti guns and they are great shooters. Well worth the cost, you can shoot the crap out of them and they keep on going. There are things I wouldn't think twice about doing with a Uberti that would make me pause with a much more expensive Colt.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Well...I'm not familiar with the "Dalton" model...but I do own a few Uberti made firearms...and I am very pleased with the fit, form, and function of their products, as imported by Cimarron.

Model # 3 {S&W Schofield Clone} .45 Schofield ~ .45 Colt ( same cylinder )

Shown with African Giraffe Bone Stocks

Model 1875 Outlaw {Remington Clone} .45 Colt ~ .45 ACP ( dual cylinder )

Shown with American Bull Elk Stocks

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
This is my favorite Uberti by Cimmarron. It is a Frontier model with BP frame and what they call the U.S. finish ( armory blue with bone and charcoal case coloring ). It is a rather expensive upgrade today compared to when this one was made (1994), about $800 on top of the cost of the gun which would need to be special ordered. This one has 1 piece tru ivory grips.
20201204_110740.jpg
20201204_110834.jpg
20201204_111022.jpg

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have a Taylors and Co, 7 1/2 SAA. Shoots great and for the price you can't beat it
I agree 100% with that. This is a Taylor's and Co. Tuned Smokewagon in .44WCF. I've emptied a ton of .44 casings with this and the action is amazing. It is well worth the extra cost to get a taylor tuned model. It is also an Uberti gun.
20210606_142959.jpg
20210606_143022.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have handled 2 of the Daltons and am very tempted to buy one myself. One of my local dealers sells them for $900.00. They have real CCH too unlike most Uberti's. The fake pearl grips actually feel nice. Just enough engraving to have been done tastefully. Very nice guns for the money in my opinion. I have a 7 1/2" 45 Uberti with the Old West finish that I just love.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree 100% with that. This is a Taylor's and Co. Tuned Smokewagon in .44WCF. I've emptied a ton of .44 casings with this and the action is amazing. It is well worth the extra cost to get a taylor tuned model. It is also an Uberti gun.
View attachment 740725 View attachment 740726
I also have a pair of Taylor's Tuned Smoke Wagons in 44WCF. My experience was completely different. Both guns were a mess. I sent one back in to get barrel regulated because it shot 10" to the left at 10 steps. They replaced the barrel but didn't even fit the cylinder gap. The cone end was just rough cut and not square. It rubbed aginst the cylinder. The second one shot to POA but had a lot of action problem. The insides showed no sigh if of any work past assembly. Burrs and rough parts. I replaced parts and reworked the action on both.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I also have a pair of Taylor's Tuned Smoke Wagons in 44WCF. My experience was completely different. Both guns were a mess. I sent one back in to get barrel regulated because it shot 10" to the left at 10 steps. They replaced the barrel but didn't even fit the cylinder gap. The cone end was just rough cut and not square. It rubbed aginst the cylinder. The second one shot to POA but had a lot of action problem. The insides showed no sigh if of any work past assembly. Burrs and rough parts. I replaced parts and reworked the action on both.
Results vary I guess. I bought mine directly through Taylor's and Co. same as I do with all my modern guns. Bought both Std's directly from Std Mfg, I don't do wholesalers. I have them shipped directly to my FFL. Can't explain why I don't get lemons like others here but maybe that I do things the way I do is partly why that stuff doesn't happen to me. It takes a little more effort on my part but it is well worth it.

If you limit the chances that some warehouse guy could drop it or some gun store fool who doesn't know how to properly handle an SA revolver or 40 tire kicking customers from fondling the gun that might have something to do with it too.

Moral of this story is I never have and never will buy anything 'off the showroom floor'. I check out the gun in the case at the gun store and if I like it I order it from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Results vary I guess. I bought mine directly through Taylor's and Co. same as I do with all my modern guns. Bought both Std's directly from Std Mfg, I don't do wholesalers. I have them shipped directly to my FFL. Can't explain why I don't get lemons like others here but maybe that I do things the way I do is partly why that stuff doesn't happen to me. It takes a little more effort on my part but it is well worth it.

If you limit the chances that some warehouse guy could drop it or some gun store fool who doesn't know how to properly handle an SA revolver or 40 tire kicking customers from fondling the gun that might have something to do with it too.

Moral of this story is I never have and never will buy anything 'off the showroom floor'. I check out the gun in the case at the gun store and if I like it I order it from the manufacturer.
One came through Buds Guns. The second was ordered through a local gunshop specifically for me directly from Taylor's. Neither was in some showroom stock. No damage from shipping.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
One came through Buds Guns. The second was ordered through a local gunshop specifically for me directly from Taylor's. Neither was in some showroom stock. No damage from shipping.
Buds gun shop, no need to say anymore there.
Did you open the box when it got to your FFL? Probably not because they check them in. My FFL knows me and will not open the shipping box until I get there to witness it.

Let's not hijack the OP's thread, if you want to argue with me then PM me otherwise your experience is of no concern to me. Mine is good that's all I care about.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Buds gun shop, no need to say anymore there.
Did you open the box when it got to your FFL? Probably not because they check them in. My FFL knows me and will not open the shipping box until I get there to witness it.

Let's not hijack the OP's thread, if you want to argue with me then PM me otherwise your experience is of no concern to me. Mine is good that's all I care about.
No argument. I have a bushel of Uberti Cattleman. All others were distributed through Berreta Stoeger and were fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Handled one of these last weekend. Seemed like a very nice gun. Didn’t shoot it, and the owner hasn’t either so I can’t speak to that. Had no idea what the cost would be.

Dan

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts