Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
‘75 was a very good year…Iver Johnson Cattlemen .44 magnum 4 3/4 inch made by Ulberti with ivory grips. To paraphrase:
“Well, you can have your Rugers and your diamonds too,
All I want is an Ulberti ring dang doo”

E422D821-5EA1-43D0-95F7-9864D403A595.jpeg

·
Premium Member
671 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have a pair of Taylor's Tuned Smoke Wagons in 44WCF. My experience was completely different. Both guns were a mess. I sent one back in to get barrel regulated because it shot 10" to the left at 10 steps.
HAHA! My Uberti also shot low and 10 inches to the left.

Bought a 44WCF 4 3/4 barrel from Cabellas. Sent it to the repair people in Maryland. It was sent back to me with the barrel turned which put the caliber designation below level. They also bent the front sight. I was not happy.

I purchased a 44 spec. cylinder to see if I could enjoy it. 44 spec is what I really wanted. It would not shoot worth a crap. The repair station sent a target to show the they actually hit the target....7 feet or yards...can't remember. Their shots were scattered....but they hit the paper.

Couldn't take it anymore and sold it at a gun show.

I replaced it with a Pietta 44 spec.....for me it's the best Colt copy!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have 4 Uberti guns. 3 from Stoger and 1 from Taylor..... Nickel Top Break #3, 1873 Bird's Head, and the photo etched 1875 Outlaw (Frank James) all .45LC. That last one is the "Wild Bill" 1851 Navy Conversion in .38 Special. All four are capable of keeping all shots fired in the "kill zone" with the target at "gun fighting distance" of 21 feet. I could never afford those 4 guns from original mfg...... even just in "shooter" condition.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
My observation - every manufacturer is capable of having a "bad day" One of the most expensive mistakes I ever bought was a new Colt 1911 Delta Elite.I ordered it through the Colt Custom shop in 1989. Stainless, Ivory grips, Extra magazine. My first trip to the range one grip panel cracked, the floor plate fell out of one of the magazines emptying all the rounds on the ground, and the front sight fell off on the second shot of the remaining magazine. Does this mean I will never buy another Colt? No, I have bought others since then and hope to in the future. Someone there had a bad day, and it ruined my day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a Magnum Research BFR in 500 S&W. I wiped the barrel with a swab. And stopped. It looked wrong. The bore was .454 in diameter. Imagine had I touched off a 500? In the end, we much be diligent.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here we are on a Colt Forum talking about Uberti's LOL. I started Cowboy Action Shooting at End of Trail in 1985. SASS started in late 1987. From the Start, I knew I'd be doing this a Long Long Time. I went to Gunsmithing school 1985-86-87 and did hundreds of action jobs on mostly Italian handguns and some Ruger's and a Few Colts. I learned real quick that the Italy built guns has softer steel inside them than the Ruger's and Colt's. Over the years until the late 1990's they got a Lot better at building them and now they have it right. Most all of my 50+ Handguns are USA, or German (J.P. Sauer & Sohn) and 1 Swiss Gun (Hammerli) and are all Great. A shooting buddy bought several A. Uberti guns and some in Pairs. He passed away in 2004 and I have bought about a dozen Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns from his Wife.

One set was Uberti built guns. Like a Matched Pair, but one is marked HARTFORD MODEL (EMF) and the other is a Cimarron gun from TEXAS. they were both bought in 2000, Black Powder frames chambered in .32-20 WCF. One piece wood grips, Bulls Eye ejectors, no import Safety, 4 clicks like a Colt. Both guns were given to me to do action Jobs on them and they shoot to Point of Aim at 25-50 ft. He only shot them a few times as he had so many guns. When he passed, I knew that I would Own my first set of Uberti Italian Guns. She only charged me what he paid, 350 clams each. 700 a pair with no TAX, No Dros, No Waiting. I bought a Winchester 1892 and shoot .32-20 WCF in it. I Love them. Big Jake #1001 SASS Life
IMG_3531.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3532.JPG
IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3524.JPG

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
The 1st production Uberti Dalton versions are hand chased by a well know Italian master engraver's shop. I've not see one in person but I sure like how they look in photos.

Nothing wrong with the current Uberti or Pietta guns. I own and shoot every Generation of Colt, more USFA guns than I care to count and a lone Standard. Forced to choose just one I'd have to live with forever? I like my 1st Gen Colts but my choice would be one of my Uberti guns . Why? They actually shoot extremely well. Few Colts will ever match them no matter what the Generation of production. YMMV

A pair of Uberti 32-20s shot from a bench

63 yards, off hand with a Uberti 44

25 yards benched from a Uberti based 38 USFA

Uberti 44-40 15 yards off hand

More from Uberti 44 Specials shot from a bench.

Persinger ivory on a Uberti 45.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts