Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new member here. I have a gorgeous Colt Defender Series 90 in stainless. I love it. Tonight I dropped it on a concrete curb (unloaded, not trying to be unsafe) and the underside of the frame in front of the trigger guard received some gouges. I panicked and tried to sand them out (I know, very stupid, second mistake). I did it impulsively. Now it seems I have ruined the matte finish in that area. I don't know what to do. Can a gunsmith conceal the dings and restore the matte finish? What would be a fix for this? I know I will have trouble sleeping tonight because of this. Any input from you will be most appreciated. I am glad I joined this forum. I know I will learn a lot.

Thanks!

p.s. Duplicate post also in new member introduction subforum.​

·
Registered
9 Posts
It probably can be fixed, but things to consider with that.
One: The gouges might need a filler of some sort which in turn could be just enough to upset the natural balance of the weapon.
Two: If the filler doesn't upset the balance, I would say ask the gunsmith to verify that before it moves on to the refinishing stage. If that is good to go then have the entire frame refinished so it all matches.
Three: Compare costs, look into getting a stripped frame and having all internals taken out if the old and put in the new one vs. having your existing repaired.

Just my thoughts FWIW

·
Registered
737 Posts
The Defender has an alloy frame so, looks like if you just can't stand the wear and tear,polish the whole frame to remove the coating and gouges then bead blast to the desired finish. It won't hurt the frame to be without its coating. Nick

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'm sorry for your misfortune but shy of some gifted refinish work it's going to be scarred. IF the blemish is worrisome to you then your options are to disguise it, as mentioned above, or live with it. Fortunately it wasn't a '59 pristine Python (see where I'm going here?) and you can now carry and fire the heck out of it whilst looking for a new one if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
It's all a matter of perspective. Take a look at my "always" carry gun, and you'll think yours is pristine.:bang_wall:

Seriously, consider making the Defender your CCW and getting another pretty one to collect.

Buck

Reactions: eloyfan

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Sandblasting with a fine abrasive can be used to blend in the repaired area. However, if the gun is a carry piece, such "battle scars" are to be expected, so why bother?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Have you seen some of other peoples every day carry pistols? Wear, freckles, knicks, gouges, scratches. Battle scars. I certainly would not do anymore sanding though.....

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
If you can't live with the gouges, I would send it to Colt's. They aren't taking any refinishing work until the fall. In the meantime, try to enjoy it for shooting. You may decide during the interim that you can live with it. If not, you have a solid option in a few months.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Put a deep idiot scratch (aka takedown scratch) in the gun when you reassemble it from field stripping and cleaning it, and use it as is.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My most frequently carried handgun is my model 60. It is very old and i have carried it for over 30 years. I can not even tell you how many times it has been in all types of scrapes and tumbled around on the ground. I keep it cleaned and oiled and it shoots great. It has "battle" scars but I think it adds character to the piece. Do not make yourself crazy, if you want a pristine safe queen of a gun. Buy a new Colt and stick in the safe. Carry your Defender it is a great gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You could tell lies about how it fell out of a ten story building, or how you used in gun battle with the Colombian drug cartel or some other fantastic story to explain the damage. If nothing, ot would keep people from asking you any more about it.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
For my Colts and USFA's and other collectibles, if its going to be a shooter then I buy it used with scratches. They don't bother me at all that way. If I put the blemish on it then I see it every time I pick up the gun. For some reason I don't care if somebody else added character to it .... If its a shooter.

·
Registered
931 Posts
eloyfan....new Defender frame finish is Cerakote. Old models had a nickel/teflon finish.

What I am trying to say is... "what's done is done"....live with it or pay for a frame refinish.

Oh...BTW....now you know not to be sanding on coated finishes with sandpaper!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Campy;484902]It probably can be fixed, but things to consider with that.
One: The gouges might need a filler of some sort which in turn could be just enough to upset the natural balance of the weapon.
Two: If the filler doesn't upset the balance....
I 'm sure you meant well, but your answer is hilarious.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've dropped a few... I must have inherited Mom's "klutz gene". She dropped plates, though. I feel bad for you, buddy, but you're not alone.

At least you'll admit it. Like the others have been mostly saying--try to get over it and it gives you a perfect excuse to shoot the s**t out of the dang thing. And, let your friends shoot it, too. It's actually kind of liberating to have a gun that you don't have to treat like a holy relic, that is if you even touch it at all!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Depending on the degree of damage, a fine sand-paper can be used to "mask" the issue. Just lightly tap the paper to create the matte finish.

Reactions: eloyfan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for all the great replies. My 17-year-old son has put far more rounds through it than I have. I'm in my 50s and have done my share of shooting over the years, so I love to see my boy get his thrills. Aside from carrying it daily I will make it the primary range shooter and just get over the damage that way, I suppose.

On the other hand, my Government Model is pristine and that one will be the safe queen. Although I've put a box or two through it, I get more enjoyment just handling it. Thanks again for all your responses. I hope to make some friends here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SCone I love this quote:

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
- J. B. Books

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.