Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This message probably belongs in the gunsmithing section but it looks like most folks tend to visit the revolver topic. I own an "Ultimate Bright Stainless" Python which has a couple of little marks and nicks. I know Flitz is great for cleaning up stainless steel but will Flitz allow me to hand buff out these dings? If not, any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
rodger330

What worked out great for me on a high polished stainless Vaquero was a little Flitz and a felt buffing wheel on the Dremel. Just be a little careful and try to be consistant (uniform) all over on the gloss. A light gentle touch will do it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Like diamonback says, buff lightly (at a low speed). If you get to violent you will create heat and the finish will develop a blue hue to it.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 07-22-2003).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brownells also sells a product called "Gunbrite" or something like that. You may want to give that a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done this with great success on stainless Vaqueros. When I finished you could not tell anything had been done. But I would add the additional step. Dip a small piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper in a bowl of water and sand in a circular fashion until the deeper scratches are removed. Keep rubbing, using water, until it has a slightly dull look to it. If you don't do this first you will have beautifully polished scratches. Then use your Dremel with a felt wheel, and Dremel's roughe, on slow speed and polish in a circular motion. Be very care full not to let the Dremel slip and have the steel shaft marr your Colt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts