Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The K-22 was produced in blued finish according to S&W reference books that I consulted. However, I'm told that some were made as special orders. This one is from 1948. As soon as it arrives, I'll get a letter to confirm the finish etc.

The seller assures me that the finish is original and several other knowledgeable folks looked at the pics and concurred that the finish is factory.

Maybe I found another "unicorn"!

I have some other S&W and Colt revolvers that were never standard production and letter as such.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Around the mid 1970`s I bought a NIB S&W nickle model 14. (six inch K-38.) After I paid for it I told the shop owner's wife Smith never cataloged it.
That didn't faze her and she snipped back, well there it is! I opened it up and you clearly could see where "14" was stamped over "15". The 15 was a 4" combat masterpiece .38. A few were made in nickle So never say never.
I sold it to a friend but wonder how big of a mistake I made. I even put nice real stag`s on it.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
I would highly question the finish myself. Also looks like the hammer and trigger are blued. If so this is a dead give away. I wish you the best but I wouldn’t hold my breath. If it letters, you stole it, even in that condition! If not it’s about 200 high. Just trying to help and my honest opinion.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Charles,
I hope you get lucky but I'm concerned there are no images of the left side of the grip frame. As you know if it is original nickel finish it will have a "N" on the frame as shown in the top image below. If it's a factory re-finish it will show the date, in this case 459, April 1959 and a refinish stamp R-N

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I don’t see any signs of polishing anywhere,but the hammer and trigger color are odd. Was that hammer even available in ‘48?
Definitely worth lettering it though. At that price you can’t lose either way.

·
Administrator
7,028 Posts
Out of respect to Charles , how about starting a new thread on non-related additional guns .
Thank you .

Reactions: cda926

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I agree with Rick, but with S&W, never say never. We really do need detailed pictures of the grip frame on both sides, especially left.
Larry

·
Registered
681 Posts
Gun was marked sold at $599 with his one bid and now is ‘relisted’ for $499?
What gives? Not like he had multiples of the same one?
Op did you back out of the transaction?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts