Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
Back in the mid 90's I purchased a new 2" bbl. blued Detective Special with the ejector rod shroud, rubber grips w/ the Colt medallion. To date this gun is unfired and a "safe queen" in my collection. What I would like to know is:
- Is the lock work in this gun the same as the 2nd and 3rd series Detective Specials from post WWII.
- Should I fire it or keep it as a collectors piece.

I must admit that the fit and finish is excellent, far better than my current S&W revolvers.

Thanks --Joe

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The basic lockwork on all the Detective Special and "D" frame guns didn't change significantly from the early 1900's to the last production models like yours.

Most changes were rather minor cosmetic changes in butt length and barrels.

With a few exceptions caused by slight manufacturing changes, many of the parts on a Colt 1927 Detective Special will fit in a 1990's Detective Special.

There were some changes over the years, mostly to improve manufacturing ease, so if you needed parts, it's better to buy them for the era your gun was made in.

The action on an early 1900's Colt Police Positive/Detective Special is astonishingly like the 1990's guns, to the extent you need a gunsmith's knowledge to tell the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information on the lockwork. I think I am going to hold on to this one and keep it as is.

Thansk again -- Joe

·
Registered
281 Posts
People ask this question a lot. Why did you buy the gun? To keep new and admire from time to time? Then you're doing fine. Did you buy it as an investment? Bad move. There are better places to make money than buying one gun and hoping it appreciates. This gun is not rare. How valuable do you think it will become and how long will it take? Your grandkids might sell it for three or four times what you paid for it but what good does that do you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts