Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am looking into purchasing an unfired Colt trooper Mk3 nickle 6" in .357 for $700. Does that sound fair? I used to have a 98% 1953 Trooper that I sold years back and regret. What should I look for to tell if this gun is really unfired? What would the gun be worth?

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
At that price you'll do well...especially with a nickel gun. A Mark III is not an early Trooper by any means as the lockwork is totally different. A Mark III is an excellent revolver and will stand up to an awful lot of full-power .357 shooting.

It can be difficult to say what to look for as a well maintained and thoroughly cleaned revolver can appear new and unfired. Basically look for evidence of powder rings around the cylinder chamber face and a clean barrel and around the forcing cone. Depending on when it was made, Colt would have proof fired it with three rounds...one in every other chamber. If you see evidence of powder rings on the cylinder face with every other chamber that would be a good sign.

Reactions: Sparebux

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last weekend I was browsing gunbroker and I saw several MKIII for over $1500 which surprised me them being that high. I also saw a few around $800. Check out GB and Gunsamerica to see what they have been selling for. I saw several Pythons that the pricing was fairly good but they didn't even get any bids on them. I imagine money could be rather short being right after xmas.

I gave a little over $1400 for a supposedly unfired MK V 6". Beautiful gun. Looks a lot like a Python but much lesser cost. I have yet to fire it.

If it is unfired IMO it would be well worth $700.

I have found that often after the holidays new handguns quite often are being offered at close to cost prices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, we're going to go ahead with the deal. What if it was fired but in mint condition? Should I still go through?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
"Mint" condition might be mighty subjective, especially if the box and extras aren't present, but that's still a great price for a nickeled Colt.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Here's my nickel MKIII made in 1976. I have several MKIII's and MKV's. When I joined the P.D. force in early 1984 I carried a used MKIII then went to a new MKV in 1985. I was 19 at the time I started and wasn't the best at taking care of a duty weapon. They got knocked around, banged, dropped, rained on etc. and had zero problems with them. I always qualified twice a year with them. My duty guns are long gone now. MKIII's and V's are some of the sturdiest 357's ever made. They can digest a steady diet of magnums all day long.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts