Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dig it, I am new to the game but have jumped into the Colt mud with both feet...

That being said I have to ask a Political question that has probably been asked thousands of times prior to my inquiry...

What year did the Union start assembling products for Colt???

Also, I would like to here your thoughts pertaining to quality, both prior and aft...

No disrespect to any Union or Non-Union personnel, I simply have to ask...

Respectively submitted,

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "the Union." In looking through some information about UAW Local 376 in Hartford, there's mention of the individual who was head of the Local during the 1980s strike at Colt. This person joined the company in 1964. He was elected union shop chairman 1967, so he must have either been in the union when he was hired, or joined shortly thereafter in order to advance that quickly. So the UAW was in the plant at least by the mid-1960s.

However, histories of Hartford from the WW-II era mention the 1946 United Electrical Workers strike. In July of that year there was a "union workers' day off" in town that was participated in by employees from the UE local at Colt. So it seems the company has had unions in one form or another at least since the Second World War.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts