Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Original finish is Du-Lite blue. The worst pitfall is that some of the early serial number lists gave the serial number range as 958101 to 1088725. A large stash of US&S spare slides came on the market through the old Shotgun News, and people quickly used these slides on the incorrect serial number range receivers to make a US&S. The actual US&S serial number range is 1041405 to 1096404. The standard barrel was the High Standard while some early production pistols may have a Springfield. The stocks were Keyes and early pistols may have the stocks without reinforcing rings around the grip screws. The triggers were stamped and bright blue. Acceptance initials are R.C.D. in a circle, and none have crossed cannons acceptance mark.

The barrel bushings were bought semi-finished, and US&S did not do a good job of removing the machine marks on the front of the bushing, and they will normally show concentric rings.

One thing I forgot to add; the early USUS pistols did not have the P proof where the later ones did. Both slide and receiver will or won't have the P proof, but not mixed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Examined this US&S gun today........109... number, until I got to the barrel bushing......clean blue job & no tool marks. Stopped examining at that point...... Dulite finish is OK but rather faded.

I am not the handiest .45 disassembly guy so I didnt get to the barrel ID part. Might do that tomorrow at the auction anyway.

PJH

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
You may have missed a good US&S. The concentric rings on the barrel bushing came on the semi-finished bushings from the contractor, and whether they remained or not depended on how good a job US&S did finishing the bushing. Unless the bushing was Parkerized it may have been correct.

This is an excellent and original 1.07 million range US&S with a smooth finished bushing. The front of the bushing is sandblasted, but the sides were left smooth and show the Du-Lite blue color.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The barrel bushing is smooth & brightly blued.....no dulite there....obviously a replacement.......maybe the owner was trying to "accurize" it w/tighter bushing.

Gun is still available, auction not until 10 PM today. I wont bid it farther than $25-2800.....at this point because of the bushing, barrel ID may kill the whole thing though....this is not an area for mil. collectors. Going early enough to take it apart today, practiced on one I have.

PJH

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK....attended auction today....this gun went for $4200. More than I anticipated, far more than I would have paid with what I felt were its shortcomings........I did not get into the barrel marking, too many lookers when I got there.....I did not find a proof on the slide, however, the frame did not look correct. It did had the P below the mag. button....the frame had two areas of pitting where it contacted the slide, I thought the slide should show the same, but not so. Frames metal texture was considerably smother than the slide.

Biggest offense was suspect hokey looking inspectors initials & crossed cannons on the right side.

Just not for me..........thank you, Gents........

PJH

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something else that got away from me......the inspectors initials on this gun were RHD......the H was a double stamp.

PJH

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmmmmmmmmm.......I really cant say. I spent too much time looking at the H, that & the fact of the crossed cannons causing me to lose interest........... Its time for me to quit buying guns......I will be 79 in Jan. good enuff time to quit.

PJH

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sooner or later the buyer is gonna find out. One thing for sure, it would be hard for some folks to accept that they got snookered on their own to allow this to happen.

He WILL find out that he shot himself in the foot big time. Must have been more than one fooled as the bidding started at some $$$ level & went up from there....

PJH

·
Registered
13 Posts
If this was the one from the mustard’s auction in Jackson Ohio, it was a colt frame with a US&S slide. I saw it listed in the letter they send in the mail and looked it up online before I made the 2 hour drive to see it in person.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts