Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't posted in a couple of days because I noticed that I was at 2,999 posts.
I wanted number 3,000 to be special!
Webster defines unique as "being the only one of it's kind, unlike anything else."

This Smith & Wesson .357 Registered Magnum #49672/ Reg. No. 1672 is, by definition, unique. This four inch barreled revolver is the only known example of a documented factory engraved Registered Magnum. Additionally, this special ordered handgun was shipped by Smith & Wesson in the white to be engraved by R.J. Kornbrath. This Registered Magnum is fully and completely documented and next week I'll post more images of the revolver, the documents and tell the story.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nice, Junior sure was lucky to have senior as a dad. What a sweet gift that was. Wonder what the occasion was. Oh and Rick thanks for the memorable 3000th post.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I take it this is the same Carl Hellstrom who represented Sweden in the 1908 and 1912
Olympics? That's an exceptional revolver, but has provenance as well. I've never seen
a Registered Magnum with a 4" barrrel. The engraving is superb.

This is one of those cases where words just about fail.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
That is the ultimate BBQ gun! My old mentor friend that got me started, Ura "Duke" Duvall collected mainly Smiths. He had a early 3 1/2" 357 and I am not sure if it was a registered model or just after. He got his from some Captains widow. It had a round texas ranger badge about the size of a nickle on the sideplate. It was gold with rubys in between the star points. The grips were fancy carved ivory. It had a King mirror front sight, and the King cockeyed hammer. It was Dukes favorite revolver and he kept it under his mattress in the room he rented from me. He owned hundreds of guns. Duke lived about 90 miles from work and would go home about every other week end. Every time he came back he had another satchel full of handguns to show me. He got me started collecting. If alive he would be about 100 now.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
A fine demonstration of the engraver's "art" if ever there was one. I suspect that the engraving is just the frosting on this cake.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Rick,

First, Congratulations on your 3,000th Post! But I have to admit that S&W Registered magnum revolver is just SPECTACULAR!!!!! I will be looking forward to more pictures.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Not bad. Not bad a'tall. :)

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
562 Posts
"I take it this is the same Carl Hellstrom who represented Sweden in the 1908 and 1912"

I don't know if the olympic shooter was related to the Carl Hellstrom (or was the same person) who worked for S&W from the later 1800's in many capacities. At the time this revolver was made he would have been the plant supervisor; in 1946 he became President of the company, and did a bang-up job.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Rick...Unique and spectacular S&W Registered Magnum factory engraved by Rudolph Kornbrath. The four inch barrel is also scarce as Roy Jinks estimates only 6.5 percent of the Registered Magnums shipped with this barrel length. For clarification, CHH is not Carl Hellstrom, but C. H. Howell of Pasadena, California.:) The registration certificate is also a big plus as only 70 or so have been reported by collectors.

Bill Cross

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Wowzers....Very Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Cop_Out and Colt-SL

·
Registered
961 Posts
Simply amazing. What I love most is there appears to be a turn line and enough edge wear to make me think that somebody at some point shot and carried the gun. Maybe just on special occasions. I hope so.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
When I first looked at it I thought it might have been Charles Askin's gun until I saw the initials. In a 1956 (or around there) Gun Digest there's a whole layout of pics showing Askins fast drawing and hip shooting a 4" engraved pre Model 27 with the hump type hammer like this one. And it had magna grips like this one, too.
Edit: I found a picture from that Askin's article showing the gun.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts