Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across this at a gunshow earlier today. Very low 3 digit S/N, all matching numbers including grips (except the sideplate - see in the picture below how it doesn't fit correctly), correct lanyard is present, both R.A.C. and L.E.B. inspector stamps, an almost mint bore and it locks up tight (might have a new handspring fitted just to be safe). Remaining finish is about 30-40%.

The biggest mystery to me is what "64" on the left and "B 64" on the right grip indicate. Are these unit markings? On the inside of each grip, just barely legible, is the S/N in pencil which matches the gun, so if they are indeed unit markings then I'll know where the gun went which would be very cool.

Unfortunately there are some bumpy patches of rust, particularly on the outside of the barrel and in the cylinder notches. I've never really encountered this on a gun before; how should I clean it up while preserving the guns originality? I'd also like to remove the lanyard to clean some of the rust, but it is not coming out even after removing the pin and attempting to tap it out with a punch/rubber mallet (even so it still spins freely - strange).

Dealer wanted $500, I snagged it for $325. I already reload for another M1901, so I'd like to clean this one up and shoot it (occassionally) too.

Thanks,
Marcus

·
Registered
606 Posts
Marcus:

I would say that your B 64 marking is probably a unit marking as you have surmised. Not many of the USGI Colt .38 DA revolvers that I have encountered have had such markings but they are seen occasionally.

If it is indeed a unit marking it is, unfortunately, incomplete. All you have is a Company B or Troop B or Battery B with the 64 indicating the rack/item/soldier number. You don't have a regiment number which is what you really need to identify the unit.

The only other possibility for you is to find out if the Springfield Research Service database has a recording of this serial number. That is pretty much a needle-in-the-haystack kind of thing, so chances are low of being able to further identify the unit to which your revolver was assigned.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.