Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Joe Poyer's book on the Model 1911 he states that after serial #105 the letters of the USP were in sans serif type to end of production. (pg 274)

Is this correct? I've seen pics of Colt 1911's using both types of lettering. When did Colt switch from serif to sans serif?

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
The size of the USP marking was reduced at about that serial number. The Roman style USP marking was changed to Gothic (sans serif) at about serial number 180000.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
1200 bk st.JPG 1200 fs.JPG 1200 lh.JPG 1200 rh.JPG
In Joe Poyer's book on the Model 1911 he states that after serial #105 the letters of the USP were in sans serif type to end of production. (pg 274)

Is this correct? I've seen pics of Colt 1911's using both types of lettering. When did Colt switch from serif to sans serif?
Serial number 113 was the last one with the large US Property ! serial number 114 is in the Woolaroc Museum and it has the smaller US Property . One of the biggest mistakes I made in the past was not buying 113 for $14,500 when I had it in my hands at a show about 10 years ago it sold at RIA auction house a few years ago for like 65 k with buyers prem one time that waiting for one in nicer cond was a mistake !! By the way 113 was is all correct down to the mag and as we all know the 1911 have gone up in price to the point I doubt I will ever own one with the large US Prop :bang_wall:. 1200 here is nothing to cry about and I will be ok if I never own a large US Prop and yes I paid more than 14,500 for this one a few years ago sorry for the crappy pics I will take some better ones some day these high polish guns are a pain to take pics of ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts