Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having difficulty finding the Serial Numbers and exactly what it is. I know that it is a Colt(for sure) and that it looks like a New Service .45 but I want to be confident on it`s I.D. Bought it at a Yard Sale. The guy was using a metal detector and found it wrapped in a cloth in the ground, loaded. I was looking at some photos posted on the internet and it looks exactly like the New Service models but without the ring and bolt at the bottom of the handle. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A gun hidden like that sounds as though it may have a history!
No S/No! Buried!
How long was it buried for? Was it generally in good condition?

Pics please!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Revolver Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Here it is, it`s rough but I think with alittle care and some money it might be a working revolver once again with time. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy that found it said he used a detector, found it wrapped in cloth loaded and thought about fixing it. I guess it was to much for him to work with and put it in his yard sale. Oh, $ 10.00 is what I paid if anyone is interested. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
It appears to be missing the Cylinder release Latch.

Serial Number will be on the Frame and on the Crane, just above where their Knuckle is...

Since your Cylinder Latch is missing, to open the Cylinder, you can try using a Brass or Wooden rod, slender enough to push back ( to the rear ) the small part seen in the elongate slot, where the Cylinder release would have been, if it were present.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I'm on your side about restoring it. Been there - done that - several of them. Assuming you have some talent and enough motivation, it can take a huge amount of work if you DIY but a huge boost in satisfaction when you complete your job. To pay to have it done is another ball game and probably a loser, might not be able to find someone willing/capable to do it. Otherwise, as a deal, you could probably get $2-400 for its parts.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
It looks more like it came out of a damp basement or garage rather than dug out of the ground. I have used a metal detector for years and never found anything steel that came up in that condition. Looks like it even has some blue left.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can anyone tell me what revolver it is and what round to put in it? I have looked it over and I think with a little light sanding and alot of oil it could come back to life. As far as back to it`s originality, doubtful. I`ll get the missing peices and replace the bad ones, get it blued and see if it will fire a low grain load. What do you all think?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
It is a Colt New Service.

Do not sand the gun. There are other options that will yield better results.

Does the action work?

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
You have a commercial Colt New Service with a 4 1/2 in. barrel. I am guessing it was made between about 1909 to about 1916 from the straight barrel and new model frame. I too believe it can be brought back to life. The Colt factory would most likely NOT work on it but you could call them to be sure. Parts can be found as used parts do show up and some are reproduced. The lanyard ring was standard during this period unless requested to not be installed so most likely you find evidence if it missing or the hole filled in. You will not hurt the gun if you take the hard rubber stocks (grips) off (if they will come off) and soak the gun in something like kerosene to dissolve the rust and clean the action. good luck

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree with Johnnyp, this gun looks more like it was hidden somewhere and lost to time. I've heard stories of guns found in old houses by contractors tearing up walls or floors. The condition of this gun does not look like one that has been dug up. In fact I would even go as far as stating I've seen worse condition guns listed in GB auctions...
This gun was obviously in vg shape when stored, whatever the circumstances the old mantra applies - buy the gun not the story. We could all use of this luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would not load and fire that revolver without having a competent gun smith telling me it's safe first. Normally my moto is, "Safety third", but in this case I would get it checked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the action works but the spring is missing. The hammer and trigger are in sync. The biggest problem is the cylinder. The Claws on the ratchet look worn down and the pin that holds the crane in has a bolt that is twisted or broken off. I really need to know what i`ve got so I can start working on it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts