Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post about a heavy barrel OP has got me going on this pitch ... Recently, I saw pictures of a Colt Marshall and a Colt OP "round butt," and they looked identical. And now, I'm reminded of the heavy barrel versions. I had one of these, also a 4"er. And, in Emmaus, Pa., over Christmas, I saw a 2" Official Police. I asked about it and the kid behind the counter said it was a former cop's gun and was factory original - not altered. Information/enlightenment here? I've seen the 2" barrels listed in the Numrich pages, but NEVER for real. (Until now - maybe?) I've never seen a 6" heavy barrel, either - is there such a thing? Never seen a 5" OP, either, but they used to be in the catalogue? (Weren't they?) And come to think of it, I've NEVER seen a nickel OP, ever and I've never seen one of the newer OP Mk III's, except in pictures. Any wisdom to share here fellas? Seems to me a guy could make a pretty darn interesting collection out of the humble old horse. (Put a 8" Python target .38 and a scoped Hunter at the bottom of the collection to show what they, "grew up to be," and you'd have something unusual!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
There is certainly is a heavy bbl 6" O.P. I have one made in 1943,stone mint,a WW2 desk drawer gun. They are marked "Heavy Barrel". I suspect that Colt mightve had a overun of Heavy Bbl. Officers Models. Bought a 2" O.P. about a year ago.They were popular with Maine State Police detectives,bus this was an overun from the 50s. My Marshall is identical to a friends 4: Official Police. An article says that the round but O.P.s were made for N.Y.C. cops to wear under jackets better. Ive tried the Marshall & a 4" square but O.P. that was made in 1952(with the "dual tone finish";which is matte on top of frame by hammer,straps & trigger guard,etc.sides of gun,bbl. & cylinder are gloss blue). I traded a nice 5" O.P. for a New Service .38. Your right,you can make a collection of that size frame. I got some Officer Models, .22 Official Polices,2 of the .357 Models. Add the earlier,but nearly identical Army Specials.....and you can have a large collectible. But I shoot all of mine,and no size frame is ergonomically suited to my hands. I like my other guns,including some pre war Smiths,but for accuracy & reliabilty its hard to beat the old ".41 frame" size! Bud

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting, Mr. Wolf. Thank you. Tell me about your .357's? Barrels? Finishes? How do you like them? How do you think they compare to the OMM for .38 targets and the Trooper or Python for .357's? (I have a 6" blue, ".357," from 1957 and I guess I'm trying to convince myself I don't really NEED a .22 and a .38 OMM nor a Python. Cheap bum that I am.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 1940 Shooters Bible lists the Official police barrel lengths as 2, 4, 5,& 6".

The 22 cal. version is 6" only

[This message has been edited by redhawk44 (edited 01-18-2004).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redhawk44:
My 1940 Shooters Bible lists the Official police barrel lengths as 2, 4, 5,& 6".

The 22 cal. version is 6" only

[This message has been edited by redhawk44 (edited 01-18-2004).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i have an official police , 5 in barrel nickel plated marked detroit police dept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts