Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just located a decent Detective Special with a serial number that goes: 981XXX. It's short butt, unshrouded and certainly looks original
If I look at the Proofhouse page, it would seem I should be seeing a "D" prefix, but I didn't notice on on the frame under the crane, nor did the write-up person at the shop.
If we both just missed the prefix, then it's a 1969, I think.
If not, I'm not sure what I've got there.
Thanks
Bill

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Unless I'm losing it (which is very possible /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) I seem to recall some previous posts about serials in that range without the D. I'll do a sanity check. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa, if sanity's a factor, count me out.
I just bought yet another pony-stamped wheelgun.
Bill

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts
Since it's a "stubby" butt un-shrouded model, it HAS to have been made between about 1965 and 1972.

The old long butt was changed on all "D" framed guns in the mid-1960s', and the shrouded barrel was introduced in 1972.

In 1966 Colt started adding a letter code to the "D" frames, and the Detective Special had a "D" prefix from 1966 to 1969.

I too have heard of guns made during this time that had no "D" prefix in the serial.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen.
I was indeed looking for a late '60's DS and here we are.
Sometimes it works out.
Why, just this past summer, I took it into my head to get a Magnum Carry. I cruised the net plenty, but when I mentioned the want to the little shop here in town, a week later the proprietor called with the news he'd located one for me, box, papers, good shape... and $450.
I like that even better than the $275 this DS is setting me back.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts