Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Colt SAA last week that was in what appeared to be its original box. The gun dates to about 1936 and is in exceptional condition. The box had a 'spliced' end label (see photo). Has anyone seen this unusual end label configuration?

DSCN3805.jpg

DSCN3802.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

DSCN3803 (1).jpg

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I have not seen a label like that but it could be the use up of what labels are already printed and handy, at time of packaging. . Wouldn't surprise me in the least. As to that pistol - wow! Very, very nice. I assume the folded paper in the box is a target?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
1936 is pretty late and I’ll bet Colt had a big inventory of SAA labels of all calibers and barrel lengths......except maybe the 5 1/2” and 38-40, rubber blue combination. My guess is that they cut those numbers off the labels from other models and pasted them on your end-label. You wouldn’t want to peel them off but under those short pieces is probably a complete label for an SAA version they had a lot of extra labels for.

·
Premium Member
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1936 is pretty late and I’ll bet Colt had a big inventory of SAA labels of all calibers and barrel lengths......except maybe the 5 1/2” and 38-40, rubber blue combination. My guess is that they cut those numbers off the labels from other models and pasted them on your end-label. You wouldn’t want to peel them off but under those short pieces is probably a complete label for an SAA version they had a lot of extra labels for.
Blackjack33, There appear to be a total of three labels tightly adhered to the end. I guess as several have said, "Colt was just using up the labels they had available at the time." This end label aggregate is reminiscent of a kidnap ransom letter where the kidnappers cut various letters/words out of different magazines.

·
Premium Member
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not seen a label like that but it could be the use up of what labels are already printed and handy, at time of packaging. . Wouldn't surprise me in the least. As to that pistol - wow! Very, very nice. I assume the folded paper in the box is a target?
Yes, that is the target. Also included is the original bore brush. No wax wrapping paper.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
How is the barrel marked on the caliber Terry? "Colt Single Action Army 38-40" ?

·
Premium Member
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This would have been during the Depression so nothing got thrown away and everything was re-purposed.
I have looked through my list of Colt Letters that I obtained from Bill Dascher for guns of that era. His list shows about 20 SAA's in the 354xxx to 357xxx range. There are no 38 WCF guns in that list. Maybe a left over barrel as you state.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Colt did this same thing in the '30's on their .32 Officers Model Targets. Apparently not enough of them were produced to make up a special label, so they just put a .32 sticker over the .38 nomenclature.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts