Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unusual Colt SAA\'s...Pictures

7 1/2" SAA. Engraved and gold inlays by former Colt master engraver Howard Dove, circa 1983. Raffled off at Tom Mix Festival in DuBois, PA, his place of birth. Also included rosewood case, scrimshawed ivory likeness and signature on top. Accessories are gold plated with ivory handles and carved Colt logos. Raffle tickets were $5.00. I acquired it from original owner 5 years ago. For those members too young to know, Tom Mix was the biggest western movie star from the silents into the mid-thirties. Friend of Wyatt Earp in his later years and attended Earp's funeral.

4 3/4", .44-40 "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" assembled and finished by Doug Turnbull Restoration circa 1998. The serial #, 07XDT, is part of a series supplied by Colt to Turnbull for his custom fit and finish and sold by Turnbull. The serial numbers were placed by Colt, probably 001DT to 100DT. Note the perfect fit of backstrap and T/G to the frame, beveled front of cylinder, and case-hardened hammer.

4 3/4" Colt Cutaway Model, Special Edition circa 1992, approximately 100 made, 3 versions, nickel, blue, and engraved. Similar to rare salesman's samples of early 1st generation SAA's.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: Unusual Colt SAA\'s...Pictures

Very very nice. It's good to see SAA's on the Forum. They have so much history in the making of America. Thanks. Rick

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts

Bill
That Tom Mix rig is one of the most beautiful cased gun's I've seen . I love the ivory accoutrements . /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for sharing .

·
Registered
6,801 Posts

All are nice but I especially like that Turnbull special. He is an artist with gun finishes.

·
Registered
150 Posts

The Tom Mix revolver just further proves that nothing equals the Single Action Army as a canvas for a master engraver's artistry. -Asa

·
Registered
420 Posts

Asa, I agree, like the pair on the cover of R.L. Wilson's book, COLT: An American Legend. Rick

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

I never saw an SAA with a case of termites!

Seriously, that is a very interesting and unusal SAA. Tommix, you have some great guns!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Facinating. Beautiful examples.
My Mom used to talk about Tom Mix. She was a big fan, and used to sing me the jingle from an old commercial of his for cereal.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I guess you could call the SAA pictured below somewhat "unusual" if not quite pretty.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Great looking US Cavalry model, it appears to be in very nice unaltered condition. What is the serial # range? I have a very early SAA, #7382, one of the few made for the civilian market, virtually all that early were for the US Govt. It has no patent date stamping, similar gun on page 323 of Kopec's 1978 edition, that one is #7387. Will photograph it and post it soon...
Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts