Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a stock like this for any of the pre war Colts? Colt owned a plastic company during this time period and I think this was something that they were experimenting with. I installed it on the gun to see what it would look like:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I've seen only one other set similar to those, but didn't know if they were factory or not...

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Saw one once on a listing on GB. Made the assumption that they were just after market stocks?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I 'think' it's a celluloid of some variety - based on the observation that the same variegated pattern shows up in pocket knife scales, both pre and post war.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Colt had a plastics division long before they started making plastic stocks. In 1940 they started using what was called Coltrock on the military 1911A1 pistols in place of the full checkered wood stocks. It proved too brittle and the wood stocks were briefly brought back. Then they changed the composition to Coltwood stocks which proved durable and were used for the remainder of Model 1911A1 production.

While the post war stocks were referred to as Coltwood, they were not the same formulation as the WWII Coltwood, and proved to be less than suitable for pistol stocks.

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
Colt had a division that made electrical products that needed good insulating plastics that were not easily ignited. I suspect they followed the lead of other electrical product company and used Phenolics. I do not know that Cam's unusual grips are made of Phenolic, but they do have that appearance to me.

phenolic resin

noun, Chemistry.1.any of the class of thermosetting resins formed by the condensation of phenol, or of a phenol derivative, with an aldehyde, especially formaldehyde: used chiefly in the manufacture of paints and plastics and as adhesives for sandpaper and plywood.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Has anyone seen a stock like this for any of the pre war Colts? Colt owned a plastic company during this time period and I think this was something that they were experimenting with. I installed it on the gun to see what it would look like:

May we have some images showing the back sides?

I sure like 'em! What-ever they are..!

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
If Colt made them, I would think they would be checkered...but if they're experimental or prototypes or proof of concept type examples they could have dispensed with the extra effort of making molds with checkering.

Reactions: Rick Bowles

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If Colt made them, I would think they would be checkered...but if they're experimental or prototypes or proof of concept type examples they could have dispensed with the extra effort of making molds with checkering.

I am quite sure that Colt made them. I assume that they were doing some experimenting when they did.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Colt had a division that made electrical products that needed good insulating plastics that were not easily ignited. I suspect they followed the lead of other electrical product company and used Phenolics. I do not know that Cam's unusual grips are made of Phenolic, but they do have that appearance to me.

phenolic resin

noun, Chemistry.1.any of the class of thermosetting resins formed by the condensation of phenol, or of a phenol derivative, with an aldehyde, especially formaldehyde: used chiefly in the manufacture of paints and plastics and as adhesives for sandpaper and plywood.

This is our go-to guy on chemistry!

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

phenolic resin

Terry. I think you are correct and that Colt was experimenting to see what could be done with making stocks from it. It appears they did not want to follow through with making them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for some really interesting material. I wonder how many "never quite made it to production" guns and gun accessories from Colt's are in the collections of Forum members. Care to start a thread, anyone?

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Terry. I think you are correct and that Colt was experimenting to see what could be done with making stocks from it. It appears they did not want to follow through with making them.
While they may not have been stylish in the 50's, I bet the "camo-ish" look would be a hit today! I like them.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts

phenolic resin

"saintlair" gets the "Gold Ring" on the Colt Stocks! They are defeinely a "Thermoset" plastic!

I feel sure they are a Colt product as Colt never threw anything away; even plastic chips or pellets, LOL! How they got the color was Colt using up other colors of "plastic" chips or pellets to make the "mottled" appearance. The pellets were just dumped into the feed bin and whatever color chips fell into the mold was what you get. There would never be any two alike. These could be some samples to see what they would look like or just a small run to get rid of pellets not used anymore. This is just an opnion, but I feel confident they are Colt and they do look nice, LOL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts