Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Colt LE901-16S with an unusual "DOE LANL" marking. I'm assuming this is in reference to the U.S. Department of Energy, Los Alamos National Laboratory. I have never seen a Colt rifle marked in such a fashion. It appears to be a deep laser engraving, but the anodization is still intact. Does this appear to be authentic, and has anyone ever seen anything like this?

The seller told me that he purchased the rifle brand new in 2015 from a gun shop in Arizona. I called the Colt archives and was told that the rifle was sent to the distributor Lipsey's. I called Lipsey's and they told me that it was shipped to a dealer in Arizona some time in 2015, but they weren't able to give me a name. He didn't charge me very much for the rifle, in fact, it was much below the going rate. Images can be seen below:

Product Font Fixture Material property Plant
Gadget Font Gas Metal Handwriting
Light Motor vehicle Font Material property Gas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An interesting find. DoE / LANL does refer to the Los Alamos National Laboratory, in northern NM. Perhaps a contract over-run or?
That was my initial thought as well. I'm in contact with the armorer at LANL. We're trying to figure out if there are others like this, and if so, why this one never made it to the lab.

I only know of the Colt Mexican Government LE6920, but those have a very small rollmark very similar to Colt's other markings. Perhaps this one was not rollmarked because of quantity? I'd love to know what the "56" means

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It turns out that the gun is almost certainly a forgery. It was shipped by Lipsey's to a company called Rocke Group, LLC out of Arizona. They operate under the name of Rocke Guns. Their website has a gallery of similarly faux government-marked, FDE rifles. Beware!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info. Was just checking out their website. They have a page called Random Thoughts that addresses some online complaints. I am not defending them or challenging you in any way, but how do you know they are forgeries? I am trying to learn, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts